Class Politics Kastel's Concept... as retold by somebody who agrees

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
This is not politics. It is concern for the survival of the game...period.

Mark has spent a lot more time on this particular concept than I have. In fact, he may feel misquoted. I am certain he knows what I am trying to communicate and I hope he has the time to help the organization with his expertise.

Here is the crux of it. Mark sat in my office a few years ago and explained why our organizational structure and method of management was fragile.
Things were going well for Laser sailing in North America, we were financially well off, our membership was rapidly growing, our events were scheduled well in advance and were well attended.
That "state of the union" seemed pretty good to lots of us including me.
Mark and I were both confident that I, after studying for three years, could continue to manage the organization and its game and even take it to new and better heights.

The problem was, the health of the class was directly related to my health. If anything happened to me, the class would have no one who could pick up the pieces and continue without taking some time to figure out what needed to be done and learning how to accomplish things and developing the necessary relationships with advertisers, fleet captains, district secretaries, regatta hosts, printers, the builder, the ILCA office, the World Council, the 3100 members and their moms, dads, wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, and coaches..

Mark did not have to sell me very hard. I only took over a secretary in 1999 because Allan Broadribb wanted to quit. I was a fleet captain, district secretary, and regatta host during the time period between Allan's first term and second term as Executive Secretary.

Without Allan, the class had fallen from 7000 members and prospering to in debt and "Who know's who the members are or where they live?"

I was at the meeting when Allan anounced his intention to quit and I panicked. I was not willing to watch the class and the game fall apart again. I damn sure didn't know how to do Allan's job. Eric Faust and I talked about attempting to share Allan's job and we thought we might be able to figure out how to do Allan's job before the class crashed and burned.

In fact, we originaly agreed to take over in April 1999 and when we figured out we were not anywhere near ready we asked Allan to please stay until August of 1999. With lots of help from Allan, we almost started at full speed in September of 1999.

Consider this. I had been secretary or president of at least four other sailing organizations. I had built boats "just like" Lasers for ten years. Eric had a college degree in journalism and marketing. I had served as a NA Laser Class officer at every level except president. Eric and I were both experienced competitive Laser sailors. Eric and I absolutely cared about the success of the game we each love to play. Eric and I each had written and published many sailing articles. We both had jobs that we could use to support ourselves until we managed to get the new class office up and running. And most of all.,. I had about $30,000 available which I was willing to use to build an office, stock it with computers, printers, fax machine, scanners, and the necessary furniture. The $30,000 also had to cover operating expenses for that office until the class revenues began to come in.
Eric and I just barely managed to get the office up and running without stumbling. Actually, our first newsletter was an entire month late. None of Allan's newsletters were late. For the first couple months, despite all our training, background, dedication, and hard work class was used to better service than we were able to give.

Mark pointed out that, if for any reason I stopped doing the secretary job we would need someone who could gather together a package similar to the one described in the "consider this" paragraph above.

If I was not available to give the six months of training and continuing years of support similar to that offered by Allan, my replacement would have a more difficult task.

The class was in a lousy place.

Mark described similar situations in other organizations and described some of his favorite methods for reducing the risk and damages related to the loss of a key individual.

Mark attempted to describe and implement a new management system for the association which would spread around some of the necessary tasks.
The systems Mark described would seriously alter but probably not end the "occupation" of class secretary. The key to success was to find willing people who would serve as hands on officers on a board of directors. Our hired executive would work with that team of officers.

Originally, I was interested and willing to stick around while a new system was developed. In fact, I really wanted to return to running my boat repair business and if I was convinced the clas could run without my services I was eafger to stop traveling all over the country and working 80 hour weeks.

For a number of reasons, I was unable to stay on a secretary long enough for the class to implement a survival plan.

From 2002 until 2005 we all had the opportunity to see Mark's worst case scenario as it played out.

Today 2006 we have a management team that closely mirrors our team from 1984, 1999, and 2002. Things are fine. Our staff is great and knows the job well. The membership is ready to grow.

We are one tragedy away from ........

Perhaps this would be a great time to get a guy like Mark involved and see if we can set up a survival plan before we actually need one....again.

Just adding perspective to the current situation>>

and why we are so lucky things are going as well as they are>>

A couple eyars ago Jerilyn and Sherri took over and started to rebuild the class again. They basically faced the same problems Allan had faced in 1991 when he came back for his second term.

>> The organization was in a shambles and the job had not been properly performed for a couple years.

Our current secretary team walked into the job with a ton of qualifications and sufficient personal assets to be able to survive the start up process.

Consider that betwen them they have been all over the sailboat game management process at the local level, state level, national level, and considering the attendance of their off spring at world events are well versed in the international needs of our international competitors. There are not many people in North America whose qualifications match those of Jerilyn and Sherri and it is unlikely any of them want to quit their six figure jobs to work for us.

Consider also, the class really cannot pay a person very much in real world dollars and the fact that no matter how hard a class secretary works or invests, that secretary develops no equity, no retirement fund, receives no health insurance, and has zero job security.

repeating: There are very few competent people who are willing or even financially able to take on the job as our class secretary.

Under our current organizational system, our survival depends upon finding one or two of those rare people who can possibly fill our "eggs in one basket" role.

Our current secretaries came to the job with all the best possible resume items. There was no available and willing to serve experienced secretary to fill the job during their training period. The class continued to suffer while the ideal new secretaries learned how to do the outrageously demanding job.

Note also: It is likely the most important part of the Laser secretary job is "knowing lots of the people." Getting to know people takes time and it is impossible to do a really great job until you know enough of the people to understand their particular quirks and needs.

Summary:
Nobody does anything forever. Under our current set up, the Laser sailing game in North America is GUARANTEED to experience another very unfortunate crash and burn.

Yes, I fully understand that the most effective form of government is that which is managed by a benevolent dictator.

We need to engage the services, hopefully a volunteer lover of Laser sailing, or a professional whose expertise is the organization of small not for profit organizations. We need to implement a survival plan.

There is no better time to plan for disaster than during times of prosperity.

Here's the contact information for the lady who runs the "other" one-design class that I sail. I kind of like her "resume" line, too.

Courtney C. Waldrup, Association Executive
J. Edgar Eubanks & Associates
One Windsor Cove, Suite 305
Columbia, SC 29223
800-445-8629
803-252-5646
Fax 803-765-0860
[email protected]

South Carolina's first and largest association management company. Founded in February 16, 1971.

Back