Just some sailing pics from the Netherlands

Yesterday was a beautifull day overhere and I had a great little sailing trip in our lake Called Gooimeer which used to be a sea in the old days. It was 90 fahrenheit and the wind was average strong. So, a great day! I carried my Sunfish not on the roof of my old Chevy Caprice but behind it! Just wanted to share this little nice sailing experience.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 08.57.46.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 08.57.46.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • 605a2ba1-1ee2-4d32-839b-869a7d6d8ef5.jpg
    605a2ba1-1ee2-4d32-839b-869a7d6d8ef5.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 87
Nice looking set up Mr. Dabolina. If you can wait a few minutes, I'll just sail over and meet up with you and Dickhogg. Sounds like great conditions! Well, I'm going to Tomales Bay today and look forward to seeing my sailing friends for the first time since being back from Wisconsin. We're going to be missing Andy though which is a bummer.

Yesterday was a beautifull day overhere and I had a great little sailing trip in our lake Called Gooimeer which used to be a sea in the old days. It was 90 fahrenheit and the wind was average strong. So, a great day! I carried my Sunfish not on the roof of my old Chevy Caprice but behind it! Just wanted to share this little nice sailing experience.

Did you find a good place to launch?

Wow, 90F seems awfully warm for the Netherlands even in August. Is this normal or heat wave? Please post more pictures of Lake Gooimeer.

Thank you my friends. It was a great day and I will post some more pics when I go out sailing the next time. @Wavedancer I just lanched my boat in the harbour from a slope and paddled out of the harbour. When I was away from the boats in the harbour I raised my sail and that worked fine. However, I had a headwind when I wanted to get out of the harbour, so that was a bit challenging. But everything worked out fine. Normally we don't have these extreme temperatures overhere. We're experiencing a heat wave at the moment. I'm so happy with my Sunfish, so that I can get on the water when it's too hot!

I'm not sure why but I keep hearing Mike Nesmith singing every time I see your name Mr. Dabolina...

So is the Gooimeer was originally salt. Is it salt or fresh water today?
It used to be salt but around 1930 they build a huge dike called the 'Afsluitdijk' and then is was a disconnected from the sea and slowly it turned into a sweetwater lake. Below are a before map and how it looks now. The orange line with 'E22' in it is the big dike called Afsluitdijk

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 49
  • bovenaanzicht-van-IJsselmeer-op-Google-Maps.jpg
    bovenaanzicht-van-IJsselmeer-op-Google-Maps.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 49

Back