Class Politics Just Renewed my Dues!

Rob B

I'm signed up for another 2 years. Thank you Laser class people for doing what you do!

Now about the class sail................. ;-)

Yeah...The system kept giving us access to new boat owners who we could convince our organization was wonderful.

The use of, "Look at us for a year for free and we are convinced you will stick with us forever." demands people in positions of responsability who refuse to allow that effort to go wasted.

I used to stop at dealerships whenever I passed nearby and, while dropping off newsletters and bumperstickers for that dealer to give to potential sailors, I would ask for all teh names and addresses of those who ahd recently bought boats and check to be certain I hed those names and addresses in my membership files.
I begged for those addresses when I met dealers and boat shows and regattas.

I regularly sent newsletters and bumper stickers to Vanguard for the traveling salesmen to drop of at dealerships, regattas and boat shows. Whenever friends traveled to otehr regatas like Key West Race Week, a catamaran regatta, a J-boat regatta, or any regatta where they participants were willing to take my stuff...I sent along a stack of newsletters for the clubhouse.

We also sent extra newsletters to fleet captains, district secretaries, regatta hosts, and snet copies to many yacht clubs, dealerships, and officers of other classes.

The laser class has the very best available racing for the buck available anywhere. every time you remind a hundred people fo that fact, one or more will join the game and some of those occasionally pay dues and join the class.

I have no idea why the builders actually decide to quit sending the price of a new membership to the class every time a new boat is sent out the factory door as they did for the first 35 years the boat was built.

Chip Johns once told me there was no particular contract dictating that he send those checks. I reminded him there was no otehr $35 of the price of his boat that in any way shape or form could possibly ever bring as much return on the investment.

I reminded him of the value>>>
Just send me the $35 bucks and the new owner's name and address and I will bring you a customer for life.

And of course form my way of looking at things>

Give me a Laser owner's name and address and $35 and I will convince that person to come play with me whenever there are no funerals being held to mourn someone in the person's family and in some cases the person will only miss a regatta if the funeral is his or her own.

Summary:

As you spend the money to renew your dues which better describes your feeling:

a. I must pay this fee to the official authority or I will not be allowed to participate. My membership card says I am entitled to play.

b. I am donating this money to the fund so we can use it to tell everybody where, when, and how to come play. My membership card proves I gave the bare minumum monetary contribution.

What is my purpose in writing all this??

To make my case one more time about people who want to be officers in any sports organizations should think.

That signature below is still there largely because from 1999 to 2002 when ANY people indicated they felt "a" I was extremely disappointed in my performance.

And believe me, lots of people said it ..

and some I never did manage to convince otherwise.

It still pisses me off

I pay my dues because, (even after all my bitching about the sail and worrying about the current builder) I still believe in the class. Nothing is perfect. This class will survive because despite everything it is, and will remain, the best game in town!

I pay my dues because, (even after all my bitching about the sail and worrying about the current builder) I still believe in the class. Nothing is perfect. This class will survive because despite everything it is, and will remain, the best game in town!

Good on you!!

But...

as I believe..

A sales pitch for Laser sailing is always a great thing..

What do you mean when you write you "believe in the class?"

There is zero intent to be a wise guy about this and I am pretty certain you don't mean it like believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny or a certain religion.

I don't think you mean it like Penn State grads might believe in Joe Paterno.

So.. as you give funds to this "class you believe in," How do you think those funds help the class to fulfill wahtever it is you believe in??

Remember, this is not meant as anything but an attempt to drag out "one man's reasons for sending dough to the class."

There are probably a hundred pitches writte by me available to anybody with a search engine.

My guess is you have a few other pitches of your own.

No offense but "I believe in them" doesn't move me one inch closer to a checkbook..

I suspect it doesn't move as many as you wish to influence.

and I "believe" in your desire to make a lot more effective pitch.

Please give it another shot!!!

Good on you!!

But...

as I believe..

A sales pitch for Laser sailing is always a great thing..

What do you mean when you write you "believe in the class?"

I believe in the class like I believe in Real Estate. It's down for now, but it will come back. Maybe not as strong as it was. Like the price of Gold will go back down and come back up again

There is zero intent to be a wise guy about this and I am pretty certain you don't mean it like believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny or a certain religion.

Leave the Easter Bunny out of this. Santa's gonna leave you coal next year!

I don't think you mean it like Penn State grads might believe in Joe Paterno.

So.. as you give funds to this "class you believe in," How do you think those funds help the class to fulfill wahtever it is you believe in??

It allows the class to continue in their managing capacity for better or worse. One thing that will shut down class organization is for everyone to stop paying dues. We may be in a little down trend now, but everything runs in cycles given there is enough support in place to support an uptrend.

Remember, this is not meant as anything but an attempt to drag out "one man's reasons for sending dough to the class."

There are probably a hundred pitches writte by me available to anybody with a search engine.

My guess is you have a few other pitches of your own.

My pitch is you gotta be a member to be allowed to bitch. Then the bitching members have to try and help if they can or at least be available to help. Even if it's at a grass roots level. Remember me offering to be the LP US Rep? Hell, I was serious! No one ever replied and I know enough "higher ups" look around here. I guess I shot a little high on that one.

No offense but "I believe in them" doesn't move me one inch closer to a checkbook..

If you want it to shut down then don't pay.

I suspect it doesn't move as many as you wish to influence.

and I "believe" in your desire to make a lot more effective pitch.

Please give it another shot!!!

Maybe this will be a little better??????????

Cool!! Thanks for indulging ....

There is stuff above I never think about and ...

of course..

I was hoping you would be specific about some things you think the class is not doing during these "down times" that you believe might contribute to the end of those down times.

It has become quite apparent to me that everybody has heard "it" from me so many times that I can now safely make suggestions all day long with 100% security none of what I suggest will be implemented. ( Nobody is going to try following my suggestions..so no one will be able to point the finger back at me when my implemented ideas don't work. )

That isn't a slam at anybody. I am just one fellow and my .04% of the total membership voice has certainly been given at least that much weight.
Further...if as .04% of the membership my voice remains unique, it probably should be discounted or even ignored altogether.

It might have a larger impact if somebody other than the current officers or the .04% guy were to write why it is a good idea to support the class.

Hey, let's be a bit positive about Lasering.

LaserPerformance may be down, but participation at regattas that I attended in the recent past was good, if not excellent.

US Laser Masters in Charleston SC
District 11 championships had a record number of sailors
Hangover regatta (Potomac River Sailing Club) had a record number of sailors under dreary conditions

The Class had a hand in the first two events. And Jon, our District 11 cheerleader, has been superlative in getting us out on the water.

Finally, as Fred requested, I do like reading Laser Sailor, a publication orchestrated by the Class Office.

Sorry if this post presents a US view on the state of Laser Nation, but that's the topic.

Hey, let's be a bit positive about Lasering.

LaserPerformance may be down, but participation at regattas that I attended in the recent past was good, if not excellent.

US Laser Masters in Charleston SC
District 11 championships had a record number of sailors
Hangover regatta (Potomac River Sailing Club) had a record number of sailors under dreary conditions

The Class had a hand in the first two events. And Jon, our District 11 cheerleader, has been superlative in getting us out on the water.

Finally, as Fred requested, I do like reading Laser Sailor, a publication orchestrated by the Class Office.

Sorry if this post presents a US view on the state of Laser Nation, but that's the topic.

I'm glad you went there first. I agree about US Laser sailing. It is strong. I can't speak for how things are going for the rest of the world. I also like the LAser Sailor mag. While our NA level class management has been very quiet in the past few months many districts seem strong. D11 is doing a great job of promoting themselves here and as nearly a lifelong member of D12 I feel our district is fairing well.

I got a free year's membership when I bought my brand new boat. Do they still do that?

I bought a new boat a few years back from LP in the UK. They gave me a very odd look when I asked if it included a years membership to the CA.... then people wonder why the CA struggles to recruit.....

Ok, I'll admit I've let my membership lapse for a few years, I've been on sea duty with the Navy for several years and surfice it to say my skills are needed at the tip of the spear. However I've recently transfered to shore duty for a few years to rest and recoup and I can actually spend time sailing, being with my wife, and other things that I enjoy in life, so year, I felt I ought to renew my membership...

Ok, I'll admit I've let my membership lapse for a few years, I've been on sea duty with the Navy for several years and surfice it to say my skills are needed at the tip of the spear. However I've recently transfered to shore duty for a few years to rest and recoup and I can actually spend time sailing, being with my wife, and other things that I enjoy in life, so year, I felt I ought to renew my membership...

Welcome back!

You can always visit this page to help see why its worth joining the Laser Class.

In addition its worth noting that ILCA-NA has returned to the monthly renewal system where the month you join will become your renewal month in the future.

And, finally, see my next thread for a very good reason to not only join the Laser Class this year but to do it soon!

You can always visit this page to help see why its worth joining the Laser Class.

In addition its worth noting that ILCA-NA has returned to the monthly renewal system where the month you join will become your renewal month in the future.

And, finally, see my next thread for a very good reason to not only join the Laser Class this year but to do it soon!
Rah Rah!!!!

As the lead bitcher and whiner about the one time kill off system I applaud the class for returning to a much more personal handling of those individuals who pay teh dues!!

Good for you!!!

BTW: Mine will only remain lapsed for a few more days.

Back