Just noticed bubbles on the deck

c14_Dean

Just had my used boat for a week and noticed some bubbles on the deck tonight. Can someone tell this novice what they are and how to fix . I have a 1989 in what looked like really good shape and didn't see them before. The weather here has been 100+ and the boat is parked outside. I have a cover but didn't use it as I was taking it to the lake tomorrow . Could the sun make the deck do that ? I say the deck in the bow of the boat . Its only on one side also. Thanks Dean and Tere :(

When you say bubbles, so you mean soft spots in the deck? Do you have pictures of the bubbles?

I had a large softspot that somebody attempted to repair. The deck was delaminted in that spot. I thought about grinding off the back and relaminating from the inside, but I got lazy. Instead I drilled a few holes into the deck from the inside, careful not to penetrate the top of the deck, and then injected some MarineTex Gluvit into the holes. If you do this, be careful not to inject too much, as it can leave a slight "hump" in the area. I seems to have worked on my boat, but I don't how long it will last. (I have read discussions on other forums where some people claimed it worked for them, while other swore it wouldn't and/or didn't.)

Dave

Thanks but the bubbles on the deck are up about 1/4" at the most and seem to not be soft like the deck under it is broken. Don't have a clue to what caused it and as I can't get under it to look there as my boat only has the cab hole to the bow that is all fiberglass. I don't know if that is removable to check that out. Thanks for your suggestion though all appriciated . Dean ;)

Bubbles in Gelcoat

I encountered this problem on a fiberglass travel trailer. I will attempt to recall the explanation my web research provided then.
Gel coat is not totally impervious to water. water can get in and through it to a small degree. if this happens (perhaps a heavy rain) and the hull is then subjected to substantial heat (as under a dark cover in the sun) the vapor pressure of the water can cause bubbles in the gelcoat. The repair in my case consisted of routing out the small bubbled areas and then repairing the small holes left using standard gelcoat repair techniques. In my case this was done by a person who knew what he was doing. Not me. Hope this helps. I think I have the facts correct.
Regards,

Ken
Longmont, CO
Hull Number 5280

You can use a Dremal tool to grind out the blister. Then West Systems Epoxy. (105 epoxy and 205 hardner) And also mix in 404 High-Density Filler or 407 Low-Density Filler. Both are made by west systems. And it makes the epoxy easier to sand smooth

Back