just got myself a sunfish.

willneversee30

I've just got a 1974 sunfish. Few questions: How fast can these things go? I've been in Lasers and Hobey Cats several years ago and I'm curious how these things compare. Also, around where the sail hits the mast, there are little pinky size holes, is this a serious problem or should I be ok?

Martin,
Get yourself some rip-stop sail repair tape (available in colors to match your sail), apply it on the mast side and you should be ok for a few more seasons. Assuming the tape is 2" wide (for pinky/dime size holes), make the patch as equal as you can around the hole, just round the corners (a nickle or quarter works well), this prevents a corner from lifting and the patch coming off.

In a race between all 3, Laser, Cat and Sunfish, everything else being equal (skill, wieght, etc.) you will probably come in last. But being as you are closer to the water, you win in the fun factor by a major margin (especially in good wind).

In a race between all 3, Laser, Cat and Sunfish, everything else being equal (skill, wieght, etc.) you will probably come in last //// unless the wind is below 10 kts. Then you will have fun with the Laser and maybe beat it /// and you will be able to literally sail circles around the cat.

thanks for answering my questions. I have some more: All the brass/copper hardware looks old and I'd like to get it all in chrome. Can I get those pieces dipped or is it cheaper just to buy new hardware?

Martin,
You have a couple of ways to go with hardware. You can buff the original bronze hardware to a bright golden shine and coat it every year with a clear varnish. Get the existing hardware chrome plated (at a motorcycle custom shop maybe). Last, my preference, replace the existing hardware with marine grade stainless steel. You avoid having the varnish and chrome plateing coming off, is corrosion resistant, stronger than the original and when buffed, looks like chrome. You may consider installing a 6" inspection port behind the splashrail and thru bolting the cleat and deck pully/bullseye. A second port, 5", in front of the rudder will allow you to thru bolt the bridle eyestraps. You have to cut the foam to reach the eyestraps, just re-install the foam using Great Stuff, low expansion, foam in a can. Should you be interested in racing, check the rules as to what is allowed. Any questions should be directed to the National Sunfish Class headquarters. Good luck on restoring your Sunfish.

Back