Just got my first Capri 14.2 and checking in

cage47

Picked up my Capri 14.2 a little over a month ago. Got it cheap because the p.o. got blindsided by a rogue gale and damaged the rudder. Most of the hardware is ok but the pintle is a twisted mess. After looking here found CatalinaDirect has them. Better than replacing the WHOLE rudder. Since this is a step up from the sunfish I used to run it'll be an experience. Really looking forward to getting back out on the water and not having to plug coin down on gas everytime I want to go out. But really thinking I'm going to pick up one of those mast floats in case of a capsize.

I was thinking of just hammering the heck out of the pintle and getting it back in shape myself. This wouldn't be an issue but I'm worried about the weld on the top spike, that took the worst of the twisting. I'm afraid it is already too weak to handle regular use so just gonna play it safe and get a new one. I'll try to get a picture up later to show it as it sits now.

Congrats on the new-to-you boat.
Is the rudder cheek a stainless or aluminum affair?
Cut it off, beat to fit, have it re-welded.

Its stainless. It's solid. Just that one weld is worrisome. And since I can get the whole bracket/pintle for $65 I figure that's the easier/safer option. Though I do have to reattach the tiller extension, but that I can rig myself. Other than that it looks good. Oh and have to fix one of the trailer lights. It was sitting in a cow field and the wires got ripped off the passenger side light. That's not a biggie for me either. Was going to pull everything out and give the sails an airing this weekend but weather looks gloomy so might wait til next weekend.

Got my new pintle last week. Got the tiller put back together this past weekend. Took her out this past Monday (07/01) 4 1/2 hours on the lake. Yes I am a lobster but so worth it. It was a good day for my first breakin. Light winds (actually died altogether for 1/2 hour) but did pick up a few times to get the rigging humming. I see that the people I bought her from did many half-arst repairs. The lights I didn't even bother. I had a new set in the shed and just replaced them. I see the sail has been replaced. I have hull 2344 and my sails are 2235. But she handled nicely. depending on the weather (might rain saturday) I might take her out again this weekend. I'm HOOKED. dubbed her the "Bonnie Lass".
20240630_170443.jpg

Correction. My hull is 2234. Finally found the HIN on the transom. I'm looking at getting a float for the mast also. I'm not proud. For now I have a football in a mesh bag tied to the top of the mast. 20240701_102627.jpg

Heck the boom didn't even have a turnbuckle for the traveler. I got one at fix and feed the day before my launch. Works nice now. But I have one question. I am missing my cuddy cover. Any ideas where I might find one. Or I'm handy enough. Ideas on fashioning one myself. The gasket is there but doesn't look like there was an affixed one before.

OK so I was thinking that the cuddy was closed. But no. There are spaces underneath the seats. And mine are filled with crap. I mean the port side I can see two what look link water tanks under there. I'm just trying to figure out how the heck they got there. There is a kind of thin bulkhead at the front of the underside of the seats. The other side I see "ate" my extra line I had stashed and some more crap I'm going to have to fish outta there. So my question is isn't that supposed to just be empty space? Again I am doubting that these folks were any kind of "professional boat racers" that would treat this little gem like this. I mean for an 88 she's still in pretty good shape.

Sounds like a Mod 1, maybe a later Mod 2 model. Look at the FAQ info at the main 14.2 header on this site for more info. regarding the progress of developing Cat 14.2. The HIN on the stern should be stamped into the fiberglass giving you model number, hull number, and date of manufacture. There is info regarding how to decode this in some of the threads on this site, and google HIN for similar info. Likely the water "tanks" are the items added during manufacture to give buoyancy to the hull if it is swamped. Should have been similar "tanks" on both sides. As far as the cuddy door or cover, threads deal with that too and you will need to know what Mod you have. Enjoy!

My sail # is 1056, boat's a 1986 model, and a Mod 1. I think you said 1988 for yours, and if your cuddy's totally open you're a Mod 1 also. Mod 2's had a small enclosure that blocked off access to the cuddy. I've got styrofoam blocks under the seats for flotation. As far as the mast float goes, I've had a Baby Bob for the 7 seasons I've been sailing her, and never dumped it yet! Came close a few times but with correct responses the boat will swing back to weather and come around the other way if you don't panic. Actually the Bob adds weight and windage to the worst possible spot on the boat, also makes it trickier to hoist the mast. I have a bracket assembly that makes it easy to pop it on as desired, and I will only use it when going out into challenging conditions.
As far as replacing your hatch cover, I had used my old rotted out one as a template to make a new one from marine grade plywood. Maybe you could make template from sturdy cardboard. Also might want to check with Catalina Direct (800-959-7245), their old parts list had a # of 80231 for a canvas hatch cover. That may be an option.
I've done a whole bunch of improvements on mine throughout the years, they're all there to be seen on my earlier posts. Feel free to ask questions any time!

Yes I found my HIN and decoded it. Jan 88 model year.

I've got a number of sneeze=guard style panels (I work for an office distributor) and I'm thinking of using one to cut down and make a custom hatch. Just trying to figure on the best fasteners. Looks like weather is gonna be crap this weekend so that might be on the agenda since it looks like I'm not going out. the bucket of parts the P.O. gave me I found a canvas pouch with three holes along the top of one side. I think this might have gone on the hatch. But yeah I was able to shimmy inside my cuddy. I tried to get one of those water bladders out but there is a small partial panel that I would have to break off inside so I left them. But while in there I managed to find an anchor and line. so Bonus. But those water bladders aren't afffixed. They look like someone deflated them and added them in. And I've been reading on these. I don't have a box or anything in the cuddy.
And yes I've seen those Babby Bob's with the brackets on some of the posts I've read. I might get one. But for now the football works. And it doesn't hamper my sail so that's a plus.

My sail # is 1056, boat's a 1986 model, and a Mod 1. I think you said 1988 for yours, and if your cuddy's totally open you're a Mod 1 also. Mod 2's had a small enclosure that blocked off access to the cuddy. I've got styrofoam blocks under the seats for flotation. As far as the mast float goes, I've had a Baby Bob for the 7 seasons I've been sailing her, and never dumped it yet! Came close a few times but with correct responses the boat will swing back to weather and come around the other way if you don't panic. Actually the Bob adds weight and windage to the worst possible spot on the boat, also makes it trickier to hoist the mast. I have a bracket assembly that makes it easy to pop it on as desired, and I will only use it when going out into challenging conditions.
As far as replacing your hatch cover, I had used my old rotted out one as a template to make a new one from marine grade plywood. Maybe you could make template from sturdy cardboard. Also might want to check with Catalina Direct (800-959-7245), their old parts list had a # of 80231 for a canvas hatch cover. That may be an option.
I've done a whole bunch of improvements on mine throughout the years, they're all there to be seen on my earlier posts. Feel free to ask questions any time!
what sort of adapter or bracket did you make to fit the Baby Bob onto the mast?

Back