just getting started

classic57

Hello, just getting interested in sailing here in Naples,Fl. I've just retired, moved here full time and I'm taking a local intro to sailing course. I'm looking to sail purely for fun/ recreation and have a few questions. Would a used sunfish be a good boat to start with? I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. Also,are there any lakes in the Naples,Bonita areas that allow small sailboats. I appreciate any suggestions.

Except that two aboard your Sunfish would be cramped for space, there's nothing about your size that would prevent very satisfactory sailing.

A somewhat larger "Sunfish" appeared for sale in this thread:
15'9" Sunfish

While not knowing the lakes around Naples, there are some things to consider about Florida lakes:

A Florida lake suitable for sailing should be mostly deeper than four feet. Lake Panasoffkee, for example, is large but shallow, and its natural lake grass occupies most of the surface. :oops:

Florida, in general, is very good about placing a state boat launch site at every decent lake. Counties have launch sites at their many lakefront parks.

I think it's safe to say that every Florida lake has alligators! (Don't feed them). ;)

Where I sail in central Florida has large bulls (with horns) and alligators grazing at its edges. So far, so good. :)

Back