Just bought a used '85... need manual or rigging pics

Tim Kosiek

I just purchased an 85 Capris 14.2 from a yacht club that was retiring older boats. I had my pick of two... and picked the one in better condition with a nice trailer. Picked her up for $450. I believe its a Mod 2. I'm in northern Illinois... hoping to sail on Bangs Lake (Wauconda, IL), Lake Geneva, and Lake Michigan. I have a few questions if anyone has a moment to help out...

When I picked up the boat... they had taken down the running and standing rigging... and some of it was simply left lying around. It might even be missing a few pieces. I've been watching videos and looking at pictures online... but a simply manual or detailed diagram would help tremendously. Even if there's a post out here with pics of all of the rigging set up. Does anyone know how to get the manual? Is there a post in this forum you'd direct me to for detailed rigging instructions (both standing and running)?

I used to have a Seaward 16 about 8 years ago... so, I'm not a complete novice. But... it has certainly been awhile.

My goal is to minimize projects on the boat and simply sail this year... but I may need to do a few things. Any thoughts on the following:

1) Do I need to add a mast float, or will I be alright? I'd prefer to not spend the money on the Hobie Cat top when I only spent $450 on the boat. Would pool noodles in a mesh bag work, or a capped detergent bottle?

2) It doesn't have hiking straps. Do I need to add these? I looked at just getting straps from the hardware store and making my own... again, is this even necessary for day sailing?

3) How hard is it to replace the bungee cord that goes across the front to lift the hiking straps?

4) Do I need a small trolling motor or motor... or is a back-up oar sufficient?

5) Lastly... it came with the pink/purple sails. I wish they were white or blue... is there any swap or inexpensive ways to get different sails rather than spending a ton on new ones?

Thanks for any and all that respond!!

When I picked up the boat... they had taken down the running and standing rigging... and some of it was simply left lying around. It might even be missing a few pieces. I've been watching videos and looking at pictures online... but a simply manual or detailed diagram would help tremendously. Even if there's a post out here with pics of all of the rigging set up. Does anyone know how to get the manual? Is there a post in this forum you'd direct me to for detailed rigging instructions (both standing and running)?

I can answer your first question: There's a link to the manual in the blue bar at the top of this forum (C14 Handbook) ;)

(I missed it too when I joined and needed specs for the boom...)

Tim, scroll down on pages 1 and 2 of this forum and you will find a lot of info posted to questions about re-fitting a Capri, restoring an older 14.2, and lots of other tips on the best mounting and motor to have on board. An oar on board isn't going to do you much good, however, I suppose it would be better than nothing. On the thread "Expo 14.2 Turtling" scroll down to see photos of how I attached a Baby Bob float in case you change your mind about it. Over the past year there have been many ways of rigging a float discussed by others including how to rig what you said you might try.

Tom

Thanks to both on your responses... I know some of the questions are repeats so I apologize...

1) I was able to get the manual (thanks)... realized that I'm missing the boom vang. I'm hoping the people I purchased from have it somewhere... otherwise guessing I will have to purchase from Catalina Direct.

2) I've read some articles on particular motor mounts, etc... I'm just curious if there's a general consensus as to whether I need one or not. Are there several C14 sailors who have NO motor. I'd prefer to have no motor... but have some hesitations.

3) I've read a ton about turtling prior to purchasing the boat. Almost postponed. But, saw different write-ups with pool noodles, empty containers, inflatable floats, etc. I'm guessing I need to be willing to experiment... that's part of the fun. At the end of the day... I want to do minimal work on the boat this summer and spend our time sailing. I want to allow my kids (7yrs and 8yrs) to have a blast and fall in love with sailing... I think the C14 is a good boat for this. My Seaward 16... although nostalgic and solid... wasn't quick, wet, and fun... which I'm hoping my kids love in the C14.

Thanks for the responses... any others and suggestions would be appreciated for this newbie!!

Congratulations on your acquisition! I sail Capri 14.2s that I rent in Crystal Lake (IL). None have motors. We sail from and directly back to the dock. I take a canoe paddle for an emergency but have never used it. Even in very light air, I've managed to creep back. They all have a sort of sleeve float that fits over the top of the mast that kind of work when I've dumped the boat but these self-recover easily - more easily if the cuddy in the bow is secured. A few don't have the hiking straps - we've never used them anyway.

Back