Jibe!

When you are jibing in high winds a good "snap jibe" at full speed is enough to get it to clear on it's own. However, in other conditions a fast, big tug on the sheet just as the sail starts to come across will help a lot.

trim as you enter the jibe and then let it slide through your hand when you are on the other side to let it back out

Roll the boat through the gybe. The mainsheet gets caught when the boom crosses the boat slowly so the main has time to sag. Roll the boat or tug on the mainsheet as you gybe to stop this happening.

trim as you enter the jibe and then let it slide through your hand when you are on the other side to let it back out

This type of jibe, (referred to as a controled jibe in bigger boats) is not possible in a laser in any breeze over 12 knots. You WILL capsize trying to jibe this way.

When the pressure is out of the sail, basically when it is about to swing across, i give the mainsheet a big reef but keep holding in the same spot to take some slack out. Since I'm still holing the main in the same spot, the boom returns to where it was pre-gybe (on the other side of course)

This works probably 49 out of 50 times I do it

All good suggestions above, I still always glance back at the transom corner right after the boom comes across just to make sure the main cleared. If it doesn't I can usual reach back and clear it quickly before I'm bottom up.

In strong winds the best way is to find the largest wave you can, going as fast as you can, give it a slight roll to windward and have no fear. Needs to be average +30 before I capsize on the gybe. Tacking tends to be more of a problem then.

This type of jibe, (referred to as a controled jibe in bigger boats) is not possible in a laser in any breeze over 12 knots. You WILL capsize trying to jibe this way.

this will make a big boat breech doing this in strongs winds so on boat i race we grab the whole main sheet n pull it across while downwind

Back