Jib sheet placement

StevieD

I'm sure this is a silly queston but which side of the mast stays do the jib sheets go?
It looks like they could go on ether side.

Thanks,
Steve.

I wondered that too...

They go on the outside. It does limit that angle the jib can be trimmed to, but that is a concession many dinghies have inherent to their design. The optimum setting of the foresail is about 18 degrees (C.A. Marchaj--"Sailing Theory"). If you put it inside the shroud it would be like moving your fairlead all the way forward to that point. :)

No silly questions

Remember there are no silly questions .

if you put it on the inside you will have some ugly sailshape as you let it out on a reach or run downwind .

Jim , you sound like the experimenting type, why dont you set up a barber hauler on your Omega and find the perfect angle for your boat . We did it on my buddies Hunter 170 which has no jib track

also moving the jibtrack forward increases jib angle of attack .

Have fun!

Rob

cotter rings

Steve, remember to place the cotter rings on the shrouds on the inside as the jib sheets are on the out side of the shrouds. I made this mistake my first year with the boat and after the jib sheet fouled the cotter ring (as I had them both on the outside) the pin popped out of the bottom of the shroud and I almost had a demasting. Luckily the pin fell on the seat and I was able to get it back in before the mast pulled the mast step off. Anthony

I agree and..

I agree the rings should be on the inside. I had to turn mine around when the jib sheets caught on them. I also put black electrical tape around them so they were smoother and would not come out accidentally.

circumstances, factors, conditions....

Jim , you sound like the experimenting type, why dont you set up a barber hauler on your Omega and find the perfect angle for your boat .
Rob

It is a fun thing to consider and research. That is why there are so many good articles on sail trim. I used to obsess with such things when I was younger and raced Lightenings. But because sea state, wind conditions and such all affect how you want to shape the jib, and where you want the draft and twist, I doubt there is a "perfect" angle of trim for the jib for all conditions. I have never been a champion sailor:eek:, but when I have sailed with some who are the one thing I notice is that they keep changing things to keep the boat moving, sometimes trimming for power, sometimes for speed, and sometimes for pinching.

Jim , you sound like the experimenting type, why dont you set up a barber hauler on your Omega and find the perfect angle for your boat .
also moving the jibtrack forward increases jib angle of attack .

Have fun!

Rob

Rob. Can you open these files I attached? Thanks, Jim

Back