Jib Furling

hainesta

Hello,
My name is Tim Haines and I live in Marietta, Georgia. I bought my Capri a couple of summers ago and am re-acquainting myself with sailing after a very long break (since my childhood in Michigan).
I am trying to figure out a way to sail the boat by myself and haven't been able to come up with a good way to furl the jib so that I can easily let it out. Does anyone know if Catalina, or anyone else, makes something like that? I have searched the web high and low and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks in advance

Roller Furling Jib

Jim:
Go to the forum section of this web site and search for roller furrling jib. There are many posts for adding them to the 14.2. I added one to my boat this year and love it. Make sure your jib has a cable in it because the jib is holding up the mast. I think that Catalina does offer a kit. The phone number is also listed many times in the forum.

Good Luck
Roger Lohrey

Found a Harken kit

Thanks for the info. I found a Harken furling kit for small boats up to 16' on West Marine's website. Does anyone know if this replaces the forestay or just snaps on it?

Thanks

hainesta said:
Thanks for the info. I found a Harken furling kit for small boats up to 16' on West Marine's website. Does anyone know if this replaces the forestay or just snaps on it?

Thanks
The forstay is removed and the wire rope inside your jib luff serves as the new forstay.

Hey, I'm in Georgia, and from MI too!

My name is Earl; my wife, Shelley and two little ones (Zac 8 and Zoe 6) got our Capri 14 this past spring. It is a mod 1, 1985, sail # 562, and we put it in Lake Lanier off a new Army Corp of Engineers boat ramp about a 1/2 mile east of The Dam Store. We've been out about 4 times, and had it in Apalachicola bay next to the Gulf in April. She is sweet boat that was well taken care of for twenty years by its original owner.

In reply to the last post about jib furling
Wire roap inside the luff acts a forestay? You're kidding right? If that's the case, can the wire be replaced? I don't know if I trust a twenty year old wire cable that never held a load in the first place.

DragonFly

Hey I'm in GA too, and I also have a very old first Gen, #179! My wife and I usually take ours to northern allatoona (by cherokee county) or carters lake.

Maybe we should look at getting Georgia contingent together for a fun sail/cookout?

Chris

Getting together in GA

Hey I will start a new thread, and post it for everyone to see, with the title 'Georgia members?'

I'm back

OK, did I ever start that other thread, I don't remember? You other Georgia guys sail much the rest of the year? Last summer was our first year with our boat and we enjoyed about 6 sails, most on Lake Lanier. I am awful at backing a trailer with or without a boat on it down a ramp. I would really love to just doack this boat and just go to it and sail on it. The whole stepping the mast and all and cleanup afterwards takes the wind out of the proverbial sails for the wife and kids, not to mention me.

After a season of sailing I notice I get alot of weather helm. I think that's because I am so fearful of capsizing that I never tighten hard up into the wind...I always leave slack in the main. Also, I hear you about the jib. It is a drag how the plastic cars fall off at even a suggestion of slack. I am heavily considering a furling jib, but I ma worried that I will have to get the jib wire replaced and I don't think I can afford ALL those costs...just got laid off a couple weeks ago, and so budget is tight. Problem is I think I am going to get a job before the weather gets real nice...of course today was a beauty and that wind she was a blowin!

OK, I was a real bad boy. I stored the boat in the garage all winter, much to wife's chagrin as we have to shimmy by the motor mount about 10 times a day, but what I did bad was I left my motor in the boat all winter. I never winterized it. I bought it brand new last spring, a 2.5 hp yamaha 4 stroke...a nice little motor...really alot more than this boat needs. I hope I didn't hurt it....I think I will take it out this weekend and run it in a garbage can full of water.

OK, your turn my Georga friends.

(Oh, I see that one our GA friends sold his boat and moved back up north...sorry to hear that...even though I recently lost my job and too am from the north (same state of MI I might add...I never plan to sell my boat, or move back up north:eek: ...it was 70F and sunny here:p just a little 'north' of Atlanta, today, I hear it was snowing in St. Claire Shores this morning...ice break up yet? Get the blades sharpened on that DN sled?)

hainesta said:
Hello,
My name is Tim Haines and I live in Marietta, Georgia. I bought my Capri a couple of summers ago and am re-acquainting myself with sailing after a very long break (since my childhood in Michigan).
I am trying to figure out a way to sail the boat by myself and haven't been able to come up with a good way to furl the jib so that I can easily let it out. Does anyone know if Catalina, or anyone else, makes something like that? I have searched the web high and low and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks in advance

What it takes it removing the existing head stay from the mast. The wire in the sail becomes the new forestay. Yes you need a harken furller. I would buy the sail from Catalina yachts. any sail from a sailmaker will be set up for racing, i.e. no wire in the luff.

Back