Jetwind (Snark) repairs

tnichols

I just picked up a Jetwind sailboat to add to my collection. I understand it was sold by Sears in the 70's and was made by Snark. It looks to be about 15 feet long and is in need of repairs. The vinyl covered styrofoam is cracking and flaking off.

Does anyone know anything about these boats and/or how to repair them?

Thanks,

[email protected] :confused:

Tom,
This fall I salvaged a sunfish that had a Jetwind strapped on top. The plastic covering on the foam hull was completely trashed from sun exposure and was so brittle it was braking off in chunks. Before scaping the hull I did remove and save most of the metal parts just in case and also have the rigging. FYI the mast seems to be identical to the sunfish, but the spars are a bit different, the upper one is longer by about a foot and the lower spar is slightly shorter by a couple fo inches and so the sail is a bit different shape from the sunfish. My guess is that the taller rig is a bit faster then the sunfish. I have two fish, so might try a test next summer. Let me know if you would like any of the parts. Sorry I can't give you any advise on the repair question.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for replying. Yes, the covering on this Jetwind is also pretty much trash and the sides are coming apart. I really don't know if it is repairable, but I am going to give it a try. The boat was given to me, so I nothing invested except some gas and toll money, at this point. But I do need a centerboard or at least the measurements, so I can make one. Its still 20 degrees here, so I have time to try some repairs.

Thanks

Tom in Pennsylvania

Tom,
I am not familiar with the Jetwind, but do have a question for you. Is the foam the same shape as the boat (a solid piece forming a mold) and just has a vinyl covering over it? If that is the case, it may be possible to strip the vinyl from the foam and replace it with fiberglass. I realize this is a pretty big job, with stripping the vinyl, smoothing out the foam and then glassing it and painting the new glass. Things that could be an advantage are; a stronger, more durable surface and being able to reinforce key points before glassing. Disadvantages are time and effort, the need for a warm place to work in and the possible/probable weight gain. If you decide to try glassing your hull, check the strip built canoe sites for info on glassing. A couple with instructions are:

Guillemot (http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/) has links to other sites and forums about canoes and kayaks
Laughing Loon (http://www.laughingloon.com/epoxy.html)
Kens Kayak Pages (http://www.dbeweb.com/kayak/index.html)
Home Grown Boat (http://homegrownboats.com/) has a video on making kayaks and glassing the hull.

A few books, available at the book store or Amazon (also on kayaks/canoes) with glassing info are:

The Strip-Built Sea Kayak by Nick Schade (ISBN 0-07-057989-X)
Canoecraft by Tom Moores (ISBN 1-55209-342-5)
KayakCraft by Tom Moores (ISBN 0-937822-56-6)

You might also check the Sunfish_Sailor forum on yahoo (you have to join, but it is free). Good luck on what ever you decide.

Hi John,

Thanks for all that information.

I am not sure I can answer your question. It was very cold outside and I did not get a good look at it. I will snap some pictures and send them to you. I know I did see a steel bar in the bowl that was exposed. The actual deck surface does not look too bad, nor does the bottom. But the sides where the deck meets the sides is falling apart. I am not really too sure how it is constructed. If it is a solid hunk of styrofoam, then it is very thick, because you sit on the deck. I guess a picture is worth a 1,000 words. If it is assembled with several peices, then maybe I have more problems. I just picked it up on Sunday and so far, I got about $20 invested in gas and tolls. Boat was free. But no dagger board. So I have to make one of those somehow. I just wish it was summer. Even though it is in sad shape, I think I can repair it. I am pretty good with duck tape.... LOL I can't wait to get it in the water and sail.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tom in Pennsylvania

I have a junk Snark in my classroom which I'm thinking about repairing. The Snark people are still in business, so you should be able to get parts. I believe their web site is Castlecraft.com. These are some very inexpensive sailboats!

Al Courtines [email protected]

Tom, If you can patch it up good enough to sail for a summer, I am guessing you will be hooked on sailing a boat about like a Sunfish and then take Supercub's advice and start looking for a used Sunfish. The boat in the pictures looks in a little better shape then the hull I decided wasn't worth investing money, time and energy on. Send me your address if you want me to trace the daggerboard or if you want to pay postage I don't need the one I have.
[email protected]

My first sailboat was a Snark back in the early 70's. The only advice can give is to never tow one with a motor boat. We were towing my brother and his friend and the Snark broke cleanly in half behind the daggerboard. Bought a Sunfish the next year ('72) and have been sailing them ever since.

Tom,
Just took a look at the pictures.... Rough is all I can say. With what Scott has said, I think your best bet is looking for a used (or new) Sunfish. If the rig fits a SF, give it a try. According to the chart on your JW, the JW has about 7 more square feet than a SF sail. It may not be legal for racing, but should be fun until it really blows hard. Good Luck

Back