Jet Ski Lift

miacamba0205

I just bought a house that has a jet ski lift on it. I am concerned that my Catalina 14.2 could be damaged by the lift because the bunks are essentially 2x4's with marine carpeting. The boat would be in contact with the narrow part of the 2x4.

I have never seen a schematic of the internal construction of the boat so I can't judge whether the jet ski lift would damage the boat.

Thanks,

Michael

Hey Michael,
How hard do you think it would be to turn the 2x4s 90 degrees so the flat side of the boards are in contact with the C-14 hull? I ask that because the original trailer came with 2x4s for bunks and it didn't hurt my boat. How about removing the carpet and attaching 1x4s to the top edge of the existing 2x4s?

Good luck!
Jim

Lifts

Jim -

I can't rotate them. I had a bandit trailer and replaced the 2x4's with with 2x6's.

I had called Catalina years ago and they had said "it's eggshell construction" and said don't worry about the trailer, still I changed them.

I have no idea what eggshell construction is, I am assuming that means the hull is one thick piece of fibreglass, but have no idea if it has internal wood stringers that have to be supported.

Thanks,

Michael

Funny, I spent part of the weekend measuring the jet ski lift at my family's place to see if I can fit my 14.2 on it. My concern was the spacing and length of the 2x4's more than anything else (I would be leaving it on the lift unattended each week and was worried about stability issues)

My trailer has 2x4 bunks and I have no issues whatsoever. I would think that it would be an issue with just the wieght of the boat, but I wouldn't go jumping in an out of the boat while it is on the lift (which you're not supposed to do anyway).

Back