Jamming Daggerboard

TCBarnes

I purchased the new rudder and daggerboard for an 80's era Sunfish. The daggerboard jams in the trunk though if I put it down all the way. I can adjust up and down so long as I leave it 4-5 inches up at all times. If I accidentally lower it completely, it's staying there until I'm back at the beach which is a problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thinking about filing down some material where deck meets trunk to see what happens.

Thanks again - Tom

I had this problem with a new daggerboard this year. A bit of vaseline on the top bit of the daggerboard fixed it. Surfboard wax would probably work too.

It is possible, even likely, that somebody made a dagger board trunk repair with Bondo or epoxy and then never sanded is down to the proper width. If you have a power drill, and a long extension (see photo) you can chuck a 3/4" diameter sanding drum in the extension and then do a little careful sanding on the the inside of the d-board trunk, and that will fix the problem.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

• L1020983.JPG
    L1020983.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
I purchased the new rudder and daggerboard for an 80's era Sunfish. The daggerboard jams in the trunk though if I put it down all the way. I can adjust up and down so long as I leave it 4-5 inches up at all times. If I accidentally lower it completely, it's staying there until I'm back at the beach which is a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thinking about filing down some material where deck meets trunk to see what happens. Thanks again - Tom

Check your wood daggerboard for "cup".

Plastic boards shouldn't have this problem.

Cup-Distorted-Board[1].jpg

I purchased the new rudder and daggerboard for an 80's era Sunfish. The daggerboard jams in the trunk though if I put it down all the way. I can adjust up and down so long as I leave it 4-5 inches up at all times. If I accidentally lower it completely, it's staying there until I'm back at the beach which is a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thinking about filing down some material where deck meets trunk to see what happens. Thanks again - Tom
I've got the same daggerboard problem. :oops: What I did was to sand the "cup" consistent with thinking—that after a capsize—it has to support my weight! :( As a last resort, I might file the daggerboard trunk. (The board can be replaced, but borrow and try another board first).

To ease the raising of a stuck board, I drilled two holes next to the wood grip—ran a short ⅕-inch line through both—and through a five-inch length of PVC (for a handle). You can also "bail" from the boat near shore, allow the boat to bounce with the waves, bumping the daggerboard from underneath—which will loosen it. :)

Back