I've been offered a Laser

Hi folks
Been sailing assorted craft for many years, and I've just been offered a Laser. I'll be using it for occaisional racing and just hooning around. Had a look at lunchtime today and I'd like to ask you guys and girls some questions.

Sail and hull numbers match, 81257. Can't see under the fairlead for the year of manufacture.
1) Does anyone have an idea of how old the boat might be?
An inspection hole has been produced in the port side of the foredeck. Mast base looks OK and it's all dry inside.
2) Is an inspection hatch allowed within the class rules?
The bailer works ok, opens and closes nicely, but there was evidence of drips of water. I've read about the cockpit/hull join breaking.
3) Could this water have come from anywhere else and could this be a major problem?
The sail is original and getting a bit "tired".
4) How easy are the batten pockets to repair?
The guy wants £600 plus £200 for a combi trailer.
5) Is this a fair price?

Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Paul

I recently bought a 79000 era boat. That is about 25 years old so yours would be slightly newer. I payed £375. It is a fantastic condition Hull, stiff, mast step in good state (holds water )
It didn't have any xd style rigging on it which I wouldn't expect for the price I paid.

Does yours have xd rigging, does the mast step hold water? Both those points will have an impact on the price.

As for the inspection port, yep that is fine.

nedsbeds
No XD rigging, just a collection of sheets and adjusting lines in good condition. I'll ask him to fill up the mast step and see if it leaks.
Regards
Paul

3) The water could have come from a number of places;

1 - Inside the bailer itself if it was used recently
2 - From in the fibreglass because its an old boat and may have absorbed some water
3 - Inside the hull if there's a leak under the bailer or around where the cockpit bung is

The best ways to find out are;

1 - Dry the bailer out and see if any water comes from it (once bought obviously)
2 - Weigh the boat to check if it weighs the correct amount, 130lbs/59kgs
3 - Fill the cockpit with water and leave with the cockpit bung in for around 24 hours, then check the inside tank and see if there is a leak through there. Or leave the boat in water for around 24 hours and then see if any water has gone into the inside tank.

This will help with the price;

http://www.dinghyforsale.co.uk/laser-dinghy.php

Attachments

• laser price graph by sail number 01.gif
    laser price graph by sail number 01.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 82
If you check on Ebay you can see that you can see how much the non-hull components are worth. You can probably get 300-400 pounds for these (sail, mast, boom, rudder assembly daggerbourd, kicker, launching trolley), assuming they are in decent condition. So you are really paying 200-300 for the hull. Assuming there are no serious problems with the hull this sounds ok

Of course if there were significant problems with any of the components the price should be reduced

Are there other boats for sale in your area at the similar age? (Yours is about 1980 I think)

Dave

Back