I've Always Painted with Rustoleum...

L&VW

...on my hulls' bottoms, so this Rustoleum product looks even better—available from Home Depot. ;)

:oops: ...but I'd be afraid of a capsize while sitting still! :eek:

...on my hulls' bottoms, so this Rustoleum product looks even better—available from Home Depot. ;)

:oops: ...but I'd be afraid of a capsize while sitting still! :eek:

jeez, what would happen if you sprayed it on the rudder and daggerboard? And I am going to spray my entire dock with that, no more rotted pilings...

k

Thanks for rescuing my thread-starter. :)

I was thinking that this water-repelling product might be handy for racers -- until it was outlawed. :oops:

Now I have a question about Rustoleum paint itself.

I'd previously used their spray product "for plastic surfaces", but because my workshop is "the great outdoors", just a trace of wind made the finished job disappointing. :(

So this year, I used their regular brush-on paint with mixed results. I used a bristle brush to do the job, then found my foam brushes the following day. :confused: The boat is beautiful and glossy from 20-feet away; however, the brush strokes and embedded bristles have me wondering...the boat is pointing much lower than I remember from last season, and I expect to be slower! I don't intend to do any more painting again this season. So...

Would I be better off using Wet-or-Dry sandpaper in the water to flatten those rough areas -- and if so -- what grade? Obviously, I'm not going to be racing, but still would like to have some sailing efficiency...! :cool:

akz9z5.jpg

According to one review on HD, the NeverWet does not hold up under sunlight and causes chipping. Certainly a concern for a boat. I would love to try it but not if it will make by boat look worse than it is. The daggerboard and rudder would probably work, though! I might put it to the test for the heck of it with those and just leave them in direct sun to see.

Reactions: tag
What would be the advantage of putting this stuff on a daggerboard or rudder blade?
Better finish on wood that's constantly submerged? Others may have thought it would be of advantage in racing, but I don't think it would make any noticeable difference.

I got some of this stuff. I put it on a few things but the finish does not come out smooth. I was thinking it might be a substitute for McLube, but it definitely isn't. The finish is kind of rough and certainly does not seem like it would be any improvement. It also is not as clear as I thought it might be. I even tried some as a coating on alloy wheels, but ended up having to mostly scrub it off (McLube is better for keeping those clean, too).

I would stick with McLube for hull bottoms and blades, if you are going to use anything. Their speed polish product seems to be decent for the hull. For me an application seems to last for a couple of months, and I'm happy with the results vs any alternatives so far.

"...The daggerboard and rudder would probably work, though! I might put it to the test for the heck of it with those and just leave them in direct sun to see..."
As a test, just paint the port side of the rudder and daggerboard.

Hmmm. maybe it'll improve the fit of the daggerboard? :oops:

Back