Its time for a new life jacket!

ChalmersP

Well ive had 2 years of good use from my extrasport retro glide avenger but extrasport stopped the production of this model. So i have looked at aps and found the Patagonia Locean, has anyone tried this jacket? If so please give me your opinion on it, or if you have a different type of jacket that you like I would also like to hear about it!

Thanks
ChalmersP

Huge difference between the two (flotation vs pfd)

First is thickness, second obviously is amount of flotation provided.

The thickness issue is important when sailing with a lot of vang on and/or if you happen to be a "thicker" person. It can be the difference between a sucessful tack or a capsize..

If you want to stay with the PFD, take a look at the Extrasport Stilleto. It's a pullover, but a little thinner overall then the other Extrasport models

Well that makes sense! But I need the pfd because I use it for powerboating, In Florida it is required that you wear a pfd when you go boating, as where a flotation aid would be illegal

Whats wrong with the Extrasport? Does it still keep you afloat? Is it water logged? Your fine! I still use my Extrasport Stiletto (pullover) daily! Sure, its faded so its almost a light red, but it still keeps me afloat!

Well ive held onto my extrasport through oil spills, blood, stink! but it is now beginning to tear and fray at the seams, to the point where you can see the foam inside, and this is illegal when powerboating or sailing so i think its time for a new one!

Huge difference between the two (flotation vs pfd)

First is thickness, second obviously is amount of flotation provided.

The thickness issue is important when sailing with a lot of vang on and/or if you happen to be a "thicker" person. It can be the difference between a sucessful tack or a capsize..

If you want to stay with the PFD, take a look at the Extrasport Stilleto. It's a pullover, but a little thinner overall then the other Extrasport models

Problem is that the Stilleto is now discontinued.

Yeah that is another thing i dont understand, it and the retroglide avenger are both two very popular models that are now discontinued!

How does that work with the 2005-2008 US SAILING PRESCRIPTIONS and rule 40 here in the US?

What's unfortunate is that it just says personal buoyancy, it never states what that means. It has to say in the SIs if the lifejacket has to be USCG approved. Regattas have to have the USCG approved statment in the SIs more often and that way people will have to start using something other than a buoyancy aid.

If for some reason you get stopped by the Coast Guard or possible other law enforcement officers and your floation devise isn't CG approved you will get a ticket for not having an approved life jacket aboard.

Chambers, can you quote the Florida law that requires you to wear a life jacket ?

What's unfortunate is that it just says personal buoyancy, it never states what that means. It has to say in the SIs if the lifejacket has to be USCG approved. Regattas have to have the USCG approved statment in the SIs more often and that way people will have to start using something other than a buoyancy aid.

If you are racing in the US you are required to have on board a Coast Guard approved life Jacket.

The SI can State that they must be worn at all times and they can remind competitors that they must be US Coast Guard approved

Here is the prescription

Rule 40 Change rule 40 title to: PERSONAL BUOYANCY; HARNESSES; LIFE-SAVING EQUIPMENT After rule 40.1 add US SAILING prescribes that every boat shall carry life-saving equipment conforming to government regulations.

If you are racing in the US you are required to have on board a Coast Guard approved life Jacket.

The SI can State that they must be worn at all times and they can remind competitors that they must be US Coast Guard approved

Here is the prescription

Rule 40 Change rule 40 title to: PERSONAL BUOYANCY; HARNESSES; LIFE-SAVING EQUIPMENT After rule 40.1 add US SAILING prescribes that every boat shall carry life-saving equipment conforming to government regulations.

Just missed reading the prescriptions.

If that's the case, I would love to see a regatta where a group is protested and thrown out for improper life jackets. I have thought about doing that. I hate seeing people wearing them and after I tell them it's illegal I get the "Well they don't check so it's not a problem." excuse.

Just missed reading the prescriptions.

If that's the case, I would love to see a regatta where a group is protested and thrown out for improper life jackets. I have thought about doing that. I hate seeing people wearing them and after I tell them it's illegal I get the "Well they don't check so it's not a problem." excuse.

I cannot imagine any top sailor entering a championship regatta wearing an illegal PDF unless they also have a second Coast Guard one on board.

What has happened in the past when the Zeik first became popular with the juniors was the rules were explained to them and they were given a warning after they were seen wearing them during a regatta.

I hope its not a Zhik that Goodison is waring at the Olympics. When he gets pulled out his boat after the medal race, it looks like he can hardly swim! Not good if you can't swim after you boat.

I hope its not a Zhik that Goodison is waring at the Olympics. When he gets pulled out his boat after the medal race, it looks like he can hardly swim! Not good if you can't swim after you boat.

He was holding the British flag in one arm and keeping it flying when he could. Of course he didn't swim well.

The flag wasn't the issue, his buoyancy aid rode up soo far it made swimming very awkward. Your buoyancy aid should be a snug enough fit it does't ride up like that when you hit the water. His head was barely sticking out the neck of the buoyancy aid.

If for some reason you get stopped by the Coast Guard or possible other law enforcement officers and your floation devise isn't CG approved you will get a ticket for not having an approved life jacket aboard.

Chambers, can you quote the Florida law that requires you to wear a life jacket ?

Well im not sure if this is the exact law, but you need pfd's for every person who is on the boat, and with the summer camps that we host, it is also a requirement that you have a pfd. Oh and the search for my life jacket is over! I have found quite a few places that sell the discontinued retroglide avenger!

ChalmersP

i replace my life jacket ALL THE TIME, it usually begins to stink (i am not talking just a little unpleasant odor but a filthy stinking life jacket that is almost no fun to sail in) or the life jacket gets torn. however i always end up getting a extrasport.

Somewhat topical....
I recently bought an Extrasport Loch. It is a big step up from a 10 year old challenger that I had been using.

Back