News Its baaaack!

SFBayLaser

The St Francis Yacht Club is bringing back the Heavy Weather Slalom made famous in the 1970's and last sailed in the mid 1990's. This year it will be sailed immediately following the North American Championship and before the Pacific Coast Championship the following weekend in Monterey.

More details at this link on the Laser Class website.

Ask questions here!

How come there's not a Radial division? I think a Radial would be perfect for that!

Oh, and do I have to wear my corderoy pants, canvas Safeway sneakers and big ole Omega life jacket from the 7th grade? I guess I can still feather my hair.

How come there's not a Radial division? I think a Radial would be perfect for that!

Oh, and do I have to wear my corderoy pants, canvas Safeway sneakers and big ole Omega life jacket from the 7th grade? I guess I can still feather my hair.

On the Radial, stay tuned for news that should break over the weekend...

Wait!
Did you turn into a Radial sailor when I wasn't looking?
:)

Can anyone enter your slalom? Do you have to wear blue jeans? Please take plenty of footage for YouTube.

The slalom sounds like a great way to have fun and show off your skills. We are thinking of setting up something similar with our fleet to get in some boat handling practice. Of course, we don't have the guaranteed high wind and current, but substitute puffs with 90 degree shifts on days like today, and you get your own unique fun. To set it up, how far apart are the buoys?

I've been sailing Radials sometimes for several years now. I love 'em in 20-25 knots! They're pretty nimble, too; I think one would be a blast for the Slalom.

Although, in the interest of keeping it old-school; it would be a hoot to see people in the 21st century taking out the top batten and reefing the standard sail. We should also have to use the old rigging.

Can anyone enter your slalom? Do you have to wear blue jeans? Please take plenty of footage for YouTube.

The slalom sounds like a great way to have fun and show off your skills. We are thinking of setting up something similar with our fleet to get in some boat handling practice. Of course, we don't have the guaranteed high wind and current, but substitute puffs with 90 degree shifts on days like today, and you get your own unique fun. To set it up, how far apart are the buoys?

1970's apparel is optional, but encouraged!

The event is open, anyone can enter. If we have more than 48 entries then we'll use the results of the NA's as a sort of qualifying series. I doubt we'll hit the limit so don't let that discourage you.

The sailing will be right in front of the club and the "Starting Line Room", a large room with huge windows right on the edge of the water, will be race headquarters and the perfect place to watch the action out of the wind and elements. Or you can view from upstairs on the race deck. Either way, if you aren't sailing come on down anyway and watch the fun!

Its taking longer to get an updated NOR than planned but it should be done this week. The changes to the format are:

1) You can use either Standard or Radial Rig and swap at will before leaving the dock for each heat,

2) Boats will be provided, you do not need to bring your own boat (or a charter boat)

Once the official NOR is posted I'll put out an official update, but am spilling the beans now so that people will remember to start getting signed up.

Ok, finally, the amendment to the NOR has been published. The two main changes are:

1) You can choose between Standard and Radial rigs before the start of each race,

2) Hulls will be supplied for the event (no charter boat needed).

The event will run Mon-Wed, July 28-30, right after the North Americans, ending with more than enough time to get down to Monterey for the PCC's the following Friday-Sunday.

We expect to hit the 48 sailor limit, if you want to sail you should sign up early!

Back