It's a Sandfish!

AQBill

Fellow Sunfishers, I have had a deuce of a time this year getting masts out of our Sunfish which spent a lovely summer on the beach - and in the water - near Ludington, Michigan. The winds being what they are and the sand being what it is pretty much locked in the Sunfish masts. I finally resorted to breaking them loose with WD40 and considerable force applied to a lashed-on turning lever about 1 foot above the deck. Still was quite an ordeal and I worried about damaging the mast tube. Is there a better way to do this???:D

. . . our Sunfish which spent a lovely summer on the beach - and in the water - near Ludington, Michigan.
Having sailed in that area I am familiar with the wind and dunes of the Michigan shore. Not surprising sand wedged the mast in, but more surprising someone strolling down the beach didn't liberate the mast to recycle for a couple of beers.

The boat wasn't intended to be stored with the mast up so why not stow it with the sail?

That still leaves the problem of sand collecting in the mast step, turning it into a mortar and pestle, slowly grinding away at the step tube if not cleared before inserting the mast. For that it might be a good idea to store the boat upside-down..., maybe on a couple of RR ties so as not to rest the boat on the coaming.

Still was quite an ordeal and I worried about damaging the mast tube. Is there a better way to do this???:D
:confused: 'Never had that problem, but maybe:

1) carry a portable 20-gallon compressed-air tank to the boat.

2) Fill the empty space in the mast step with water—drape with a towel.

3) aim a jet of air at the junction.

4) pull the mast up, simultaneously.

(Or pre-load it from a tree branch, overhead)

Like WD-40—it's messy, but less of an ordeal—I'd think. :confused:

Back