Is this sail any good?

No idea if the sail is any good but for a knockoff the price is outrageous. Top quality APS or Intensity sails are about $150 max. Official sails are only really expensive because North, LP and the dealer all need to make a profit. You should see if APS or Intensity could get u a blue and white one. They offer r/w/b so they have blue material.

I have a race shaped blue and white sail with window. And it is almost half the price. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

Looking for a well shaped sail, not super flat, like so many. Class legality is irrelevant. Blue & white is required (don't ask).

Blue & White required? A member of the BMW Oracle team? :D

My new Intensity sail is definitely very flat. Compared with the very worn sail it replaced, it has somewhat improved the speed at which my boat moves; however, it does resist storing and re-folding (flaking) on the spars, is noisy in use, and I'm told the five different colors blend with the tree line. :confused: The colors are an important weekend consideration on a lake with 130+ MPH speedboats. :eek: If you can, select your colors with care, and be sure to include white.

Well, it's stopped raining, but there's no wind...

:rolleyes:

I have owned sails made by The Sail Store, FX Sails (Jolly Roger), Kevane Sails, Intensity Sails, North, etc. The flattest with absolutely no shape was the Kevane sail. The Jolly Roger was better, but not by much. The Intensity are cut like the North class legal race sail. The North recreational sail was similar to the Jolly Roger. If you are not racing, it may not matter to you if you have any shape in the sail or not. The Jolly Roger sail had straight luff and foot. A sail with shape will have a curved luff and foot. See photo. You can see how the Jolly Roger has straight edges and the Sunrise sail (custom made sails by me) has a curved edge and hence baggy at boom. Adds a little more sail area and creates a nicer shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 69
  • SF1981-14.JPG
    SF1981-14.JPG
    545.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned sails made by The Sail Store, FX Sails (Jolly Roger), Kevane Sails, Intensity Sails, North, etc. The flatest with absolutely no shape was the Kevane sail. The Jolly Roger was better but not by much. The Intensity are cut like the North class legal race sail. The north recreation sail was similar to the Jolly Roger. If you are not racing, may not matter to you if you have any shape in the sail or not. The Jolly Roger sail had straight luff and foot. A sail with shape will have a curved luff and foot. See photo. You can see how the Jolly Roger has straight edges and the Sunrise sail (custom made sails by me) have a curved edge and hence baggy at boom. Adds a little more sail area and creates a nicer shape.

I'm looking to buy the Jolly Roger sail from them; do you have more photos? How was the quality? I'm a purely recreational sailor and not concerned about the loss of speed from the lack of shape, more so the overall quality of the stitching, materials and insignia.

QUOTE="pixturethis, post: 150423, member: 37372"]

Thanks for the answer. Still learning I am.[/QUOTE]

Still learning we are. ;)

'Just found this on the Mariner.org website, and thought it might be instructive:

How old is your headsail? When sails get old and stretched out, their camber gets deeper and usually move aft. This can be a significant change to your CoE. Not only will the CoE move aft, giving you more weather helm, but the deeper belly will cause more heeling as the lift vectors shift more perpendicular to your course. This means what forward lift you get from your sail will be applied on a longer lever arm leeward of your centerline. If it is an old mainsail, more weather helm; if it is the headsail, more lee helm. Did you replace your main and not your jib? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Over the years, I have owned about every brand of Sunfish sail, Class legal for racing, Intensity, Neil Pryde, FX, Kevane etc. For performance and overall quality, I rate the Class legal and Intensity as the top two; all the rest are distant thirds for reasons of cut (usually too flat), construction quality, or cost. If you don't plan to race, the Intensity with window is the best value but the Class legal Race Sail is still the gold standard (with
a higher price tag.) I would be wary about some of the no-name China made sails you see on E-bay or other internet sites. Do they have a decent return policy/warranty? Having a window is a big plus for safety reasons especially if you sail with the boom low.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back