Is This Outhaul Set Up Legal?

I think you can have unlimited turns as long as you don't change the dimensions that need to be measured for a race, like the sail or the hull, the spars too maybe. He's making it so you can trim with your pinky finger. You can race with a standard control setup where you control the outhaul from the boom cleat. Gets to a point, though, where a lot of lines is kind of hack.

Im talking in reference to rule 3(f)(i):
  1. The outhaul system shall consist of a maximum of two control lines, “Optional” blocks or loops for purchase and a maximum of 6 “TurningPoints”.

Yeah I see what you're saying. You're allowed to attach a block to the outhaul fairlead on the boom, 3(f)(iii). I think a turn has to be a 180, not a 90. So you can do 6, plus the vertical down from the gooseneck and horizontally to the cleat. He's got two at the clew, then 4 on the blue line system, plus the vertical and horizontal.

Turbo, you have no idea what you're talking about.

There is nothing in the rules about 90 or 180 degrees.

Mark, the system shown is almost legal. There are six turning points in total. On the clew of the sail, boom fairlead, 4 near the goose neck. The one on the deck is not counted as a turning point (3.a.v). The only place where he runs foul of the class rules is attaching the pulley to the fairlead as he uses two shackles. The rules (3.a.vi) use the words "a shackle" which means one shackle. To redesign the system so that it is legal, he could tie a small rope loop between the shackle and pulley, noting the centre of the sheave is no further from the gooseneck bolt than 100mm. (3.f.v)

Various other things visible on the bat and what he say are illegal or incorrect. This includes the lack of a plug on the end of the boom, you are permitted to have a pulley on the boom fairlead, but the outhaul must travel at least once as a moving line through the fairlead, to use a pulley in this location you need two turning points there, not the usual one, which is crowded and normally locks up on each other, which is why nobody does it (3.f.ii & 3.f.iii)

I know, I'm saying the 90 degree turns don't count as "turns". But as you're a Measurer, you must know what you're saying. The shackle rule is for a turn. He uses a block and shackles to move the block away from the gooseneck.
The rule says the optional block can be attached with or without a shackle. Seems like you can use anything to secure the block. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you please go read the actual rules, instead of making stuff up.

The turn taking the line parallel from the boom to parallel to the mast (90 degrees) counts as a turn, so you are incorrect.
Whilst 3.f.v does permit a shackle to be used as a turning point. He uses two shackles to connect the block to the goose neck, 3.f.vi permits the use of only one shackle for his purpose. This rule also says exactly the 5 items that are permitted to be used, everything else is illegal.

Alan, are the Laser boom fairleads now available with a stainless insert, class legal? ie plastic end-of-boom fairlead, but with a stainless lining around the hole to stop fine lines eating through

No. Plastic fair leads with stainless inserts are not a legal substitute for this fair lead.
The plastic fair lead on the boom may be replaced with an identical shaped metal fair lead. The metal fair leads are available from laser dealers.

Back