Is this Laser worth fixing?

sctomcat1

A neighbor is giving me his Laser! The catch is that it has deck damage. Bottom of hull is in good shape. See attached pictures. This is a pretty old Laser (late 70s to 80s vintage). Is it worth my time and expense to fix? Thanks for the help and advice!!

IMG-20110806-00005.JPG
IMG-20110806-00001.JPG
IMG-20110806-00002.JPG
IMG-20110806-00003.JPG
IMG-20110806-00004.JPG

1. What do you intend to do with it?

2. Are all the pieces included? If not, they cost a bundle....

My gut response is "no" unless you are looking for a project. If it comes with pieces, go ahead and take them but scrap the hull. Chances are you can find a much better hull that might be missing a few pieces.

The deck looks completely destroyed, you will probably have to rebuild the entire boat,

Check the classifieds, I have 2 hulls I'm giving away to anyone that wants to fix them up, they are in in much better condition than that laser

That's only good for parts if there's any.

If I lived closer to LaserXD I'd take him up on his offer. If you live close to him and your neighbors boat had parts I'd take one of his better boats and put it with the parts from your neighbors.

Sorry to pile on, but the fact that the deck core has been compromised like that indicates that your Laser is a candidate for the chainsaw. And as LaserXD and glexpress mentioned, there are much better project boats out there.
Now, that being said, what do you do with a cut up Laser? Well some of the hardware may be salvagable or at least recyclable. We use old jam cleats to make towel racks. The cockpit might make a really sick beer cooler. The bow could be made into a lamp.

I agree with the hiking bench idea!! But make sure you keep ALL the hardware off of it... You never know when you or a friend would need a fairlead or something... Youll be grateful when you don't have to buy a new one and pay more on shipping than for the actual part

Thanks everyone! I don't intend to race it but to play around in. I do have all the hardware, sail, boom, mast, rudder, daggerboard, etc... I have some experience in fiberglass repair and don't mind taking on the project. It seems that if I could seperate the deck from the hull, it would be easier to fix rather than "blind side repair" the holes. Is it practical to seperate the deck from the hull. I did this once on a sunfish but this is a slightly different animal. :rolleyes: I hate to junk the boat when it could be a good project for my son and I to work on over the Winter.
Thanks again for the help.

Take the hardware and run, but take the hull to the dump. Go find a better hull that may be missing a few parts. And no, it isn't practical to separate the hull from the deck.

There was a guy from Scotland who actually did separate the deck from the hull, and he posted some pics on this website. I think it was under the heading "deck the hulls." However, I think that removal and reassembly is problematic at best, and you will most likely do more damage doing the former. I would take Torrid's advice and strip the hull of anything reusable (or ornamental) and then junk the rest. Please do not misunderstand, I think it is really great that you want to take on a project with your son. However, this one is a real basket case and you don't want him to get discouraged. There are also lots and lots of hulls out there with heavily oxidized, spider cracked bottoms and in need of TLC. IMHO, when it comes to fiberglass work, the filling and fairing is as challenging (if not more so) as doing the structural stuff, and when you get done you have something reliable and really pretty to look at.

That's a lot of work for a Laser, but if you have the time and don't have other things to do have at it. I certainly don't have the patience or fortitude to undertake such a project. Good luck and please share your experience with us.

Well I would say if it comes with the spars or blades go for it. Then you could just buy another Laser hull in better condition for cheap that isn't so much of a lost cause. But if you're really set on a project then all I can say is have fun!! : )

Back