Media Is this a sunfish?

essebibi

Hi to all, I'm new here...

I just bought a small boat on ebay, but:

On the auction it stands it is a sailfish. Now, I live in Switzerland and by us the sunfish is unknown, so I've no experience on it; but the pictures he later seems quite different from the sunfish.

F.I. the "hole" where you put the leg in (I don't know the right term in english :confused: ) seems to be a lot larger than in standard sunfish I've seen.

Have you an idea of what have I bought?

P.S. I still don't have the boat in my hands, so I don't have pictures of sail, rig and so on and I don't have an idea of what they look like.

Many thanks and greetings from Switzerland!!

Attachments

• 409643195[1].jpg
    409643195[1].jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 409643195[2].jpg
    409643195[2].jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 409643195[3].jpg
    409643195[3].jpg
    106 KB · Views: 143
I have no idea what it is—it is no Sunfish that I am familiar with. It looks nice, though. The "hole" could be called a "footwell" (if small) or "cockpit" (if large enough to sit in).

I'm mostly just answering to say, "Gruetzi!"

essebibi,
Hello and welcome to the Forum. As porpoise2 says, it is not a sunfish. Go to Yahoo Sunfish Sailor http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/ and look in the files section for clone fish, you might find out there what your boat is. Other wise you may have to wait until your recieve your boat and check the label or identification tag. It looks like a nice boat, roomier than a Sunfish. Post another picture when you get it all set up. Good Luck

Hi there,
In the clone fish section I found nothing very similar, but I've just received an e-mail from the seller.

It is a Turkei version of the sunfish (go figure :D) called süper sunfish, with a roomier cockpit and a storage room on the back. I asked if the rig was lateen (as the sunfish) or not, but he didn't answered. I hope, if it has a "laser" rig, that the mast is splittable to car/roof travel...
And I hope that it hasn't the ...erh...how do you call the stainless cables that keep the mast upright ? (you know, english is the fourth language that we've learned at school and I've got some problems...) exactly as laser/sunfish rigs.

Of course I will post some pictures if the sunfish can still sail, but the owner says it's in good conditions (just "refurbished" last winter as we can see on the pics) :D

Many thanks to all!!

Stefano

Stefano,

Ah hah, big clue, a Turkish Super Sunfish. There are pictures of one by Bartuz in album 33, Other Fish/Super Sunfish/Super (page 3) in the Sunfish Sailor Photo section. It appears to have shrouds (the cables) to hold the mast and a laser type sail rig. Sorry, I can't tell you if it has a two part mast.

Stefano,

Taking a second look at the photos, it does not have side shrouds (or stays) and what I saw as a fore stay appears to be the halyard to raise the sail. Bartuz has a rigging diagram in the album, so you should be able to rig your new boat with out any problem. Nice features I see are adjustable traveler, clew or down haul, vang and halyard (or up haul/fore stay). Should be a lot of fun. Good luck.

MANY THANKS!!!!

It seems exactly this one.
I received another mail from the owner (he starts to hate me :D) and he said that it has a laser rig, no shrouds (in the one of Bartuz the one in front is not a shroud, but the cable to hang up the sail ("drizza" in italian, no idea in english).

Many thanks!!

Stefano

I have a older version and it is a Lockley Newport called a Scat or a Panther depending on what year you have.Check the serial number and see what the first letters say.It coult also be made by Glouster Yatchs in Virginia,because they bought the molds from Lockley Newport.Check the serial number through the Coast Guards web sit.You can type in any serial number and get instant results on who made it and if the company is still in business.I will trade some pics of mine if interested.

Back