Is this a decent choice for the mainsheet block?

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I can not think of a time when I switched the one that I have now to the non-ratcheting mode. Do any of you guys use that function on your blocks?
Maybe in really light air?

Jack said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I can not think of a time when I switched the one that I have now to the non-ratcheting mode. Do any of you guys use that function on your blocks?
Maybe in really light air?

Not many times that I turned it off on purpose. However, there are many times which I can recall the damned thing turning itself off, usually at a mark rounding in heavy air.

Howdy fellow Laser folks,
I have no clew (clue) about how well the auto racheting blocks work during the heat of a race... With four lasers (two new from Vangard two Kiwi boats) owned in just over a years time.... I'm not real fond of the manufactures supplied blocks. I've had both the Harken and Holt standard (60 mm?) rachet blocks... I bought a Ronstan/Fredrickson (was supposed to be a Fredrickson when I bought it from APS [$58]) 62100 rachet block from APS. This block is pricey compared to the others but in holding and free running performance it beats the others hands down and never an accidental change from racheting to non-racheting. In the Holt (black block with the vertical switch) I have had it "automatically" inadvertently switch from racheting to non-racheting whilst racing. The Harken had a flip type lever which worked well but didn't or doesn't hold as well as the Ronstan/Fredrickson block does.
Now if your auto-racheting block works well let us know... But I can't recall a time when I switched the racheting function off during a race. My final thought on the matter is if the air is light enough to warrant turning it off you might as well be playing the main from the boom block and with an auto-racheting block what happens if it fails, is it freewheel or locked up?
Best Regards, Full Sails and screaming reaches!
Fishingmickey
150087/178894/181157

all ratchets are basically free wheel when they fail... I guess it will free wheel. I could see me using the auto ratchet because downwind, you dont really need a ratchet. when i was sailing my sabot, i had the smaller ronstan smart ratchet & it worked awesome, best thing on that boat.

Hi:

I use the Harken Autoratchet on my Laser and on J24 spin sheets. I think both uses are GREAT! You never think about them, but they are switching on and off all the time. At the weather mark, the main sheet just runs out as you bear off, in any wind.

That closeout price is great too, cheaper than the regular ratchet. I bought a new Harken carbo ratchamatic, but never installed it. It has the added feature of being adjustable, as to tension that it switches on/off. But I've never even thought of adjusting it.

I really have no idea why this autoratchet never took off, and became standard on more boats, as I love mine.

Al Russell 66451

i our clup atleast there are bad things being said about them for example "they allways go off at the wrong time " or " they fail half way through a race " can you please make this clear if this is true or not
~
~

the great benefit you'd have in using an auto-ratchet is that when you dump the sheet at the weather mark,,,there's less friction to the sheet as it eases out....similar benefit to when you use these as 49er spinn blocks-less 'grad' on the old sheet when you gybe-------seems a VERY good price,too!!!

I use a Fredricson and i turn the rachet off while going down wind. I do this so i can feel when the sail is loaded or not.

Hi again,

As I said I'm using the Harken autoratchet on 2 lasers and on a J24 spinnaker and Main sheet, with no problems. I have heard the rumors of problems, but haven't seen any. This could be from early models, or salt and/or sand problems, but I dunno. Mine work fine, and I would hate to switch back to standard ratchets.

I especially like mine during pre-start when you want to luff and trim, and at the weather mark to ease easily. I never have to push the boom out by hand.

Harken is closing out at 26. because they are going to Carbo's. That is a great price for new blocks, with Harken's guarantee behind them.

Dave Powlison was researching various auto ratchets for a sailing World article that will come out this Winter sometime. He was using them on Lasers and Finn's. If anyone see's it, please let the thread know.

Al Russell 66451

Back