Is there really a perfect block out there?

laserboy4.7

im looking and looking for a better block than the stock one, the stock one is okay but the ranstan ones look really nice and i was wondering which ones are the best for a laser and that'll look cool

im looking and looking for a better block than the stock one, the stock one is okay but the ranstan ones look really nice and i was wondering which ones are the best for a laser and that'll look cool
No offense, but why do you care whether or not it looks cool so long as it works?

If you're talking mainsheet blocks, ie ratchets I think the Ronstan Orbit is the way to go. Aside from one of the earlier models failing on me (which was replaced straight away as this is a well documented problem) I have found it to be great with great grip. I haven't tried the others however but it sure beats the block that came with my 1982 boat.

This has been discussed quite a lot before too:
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6670

If you're talking mainsheet blocks, ie ratchets I think the Ronstan Orbit is the way to go. Aside from one of the earlier models failing on me (which was replaced straight away as this is a well documented problem) I have found it to be great with great grip. I haven't tried the others however but it sure beats the block that came with my 1982 boat.

This has been discussed quite a lot before too:
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6670

Wow Mattcm, did you even read the thread you're referring to? Choice selections:

"Dang! Mine failed last night and now is permanently in "manual ratchet mode" all the time."

"On the rope strop wear issue with the Orbit block you do need to heed the Ronstan instructions about avoiding sharp edges - which is difficult to do with the sheet metal deadeye."

"1. This thing caused substantial wear on my new main sheet. I estimated that new rooster 7mm? line that comes with new boats would hold about 25-35 good races at most with this block."
2. I did not like the automatic mode since it changed feel on the mainsheet in a rather unpredictable manner. So I tried to set the block to manual ratchet-on mode and many times this setting somehow would switch itself to no-ratchet or auto mode during a race, which infintly pissed me off.
The reason for buying the block was its holding power, and it really holds well.
But this benefit comes with high price of sheet wear and the moronic switch design."

"I used the Orbit for about two races and had to stop as the spectra strop had almost worn through, and I was afraid it would break without notice, and I had filed down my eyestrap a bit."

"Also, I found like a lot of the early autoratchet blocks, that the function was not consistent in operation."

"I tried flipping the lever and found that it very much resists being positively disengaged with a "one handed" operation."

"I find using the ratchet function on the main sheet block extremely inconvenient. "

"Just an update on the Ronstan Orbit - Mine stopped functioning about a week ago, I wish I could tell you exactly how many hours of use, a rough guess is somewhere between 150-200 hours. I used the block only in auto-ratchet mode.

It started with the ratchet not engaging, just freewheeling. Naturally this was happening with the wind blowing 20+ With less load, it was occasionally working correctly, but then completely stop functioning after another 2 hours of use..."

"THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! Now I use the block that came with my boat. The Ronstan block was AMAZING while it worked but seriously guys if it happened to both of us there must be something wrong with the block. I have used mine for 700-900 hours."

"The day before a regatta when i was out practicing it just started locking up entirely and i would have to wiggle it around in order for it to start rolling again. I do not believe that any of this is due to bad maintenance."

Wouldn't mind trying one, but would never use it in a season race without a backup handy.

You mean the stock one that came on my '74?

I was referring more to the ones that come with the boats now.

But if yours is still working great after that many years, then I guess that would attest to its quality.

---snip---

"Just an update on the Ronstan Orbit - Mine stopped functioning about a week ago, I wish I could tell you exactly how many hours of use, a rough guess is somewhere between 150-200 hours. I used the block only in auto-ratchet mode.

It started with the ratchet not engaging, just freewheeling. Naturally this was happening with the wind blowing 20+ With less load, it was occasionally working correctly, but then completely stop functioning after another 2 hours of use..."

Wouldn't mind trying one, but would never use it in a season race without a backup handy.
---snip---

You managed to post all the negatives.

There are plenty of positives to the block and the failure of the 1st year block was a design defect which Ronstan acknowledged, changed and replaced the failed blocks of anyone who asked, including mine - I've been using the second generation one now for almost a year, w/o issues and all the positives about the block (holding power, autoratchet, light weight) remain, while my big and little Harken hexaratchets gather dust in a spare parts box...

I did follow this thread.

I bought my ratchet from Intensity for $45 US at a time where the Australian dollar was around 95 US cents. The same orbit block here is $110.

This original model did fail one day yet all I had to do was sail an afternoon with my old one before getting it swapped at my local sailing store.

Both blocks have been great and the new one's switch has improved. I have not seen any line wear or spectra strop wear as I am using a small shackle to attach it to my mainsheet eyestrap as per the instructions that I saw a while ago (unsure where they were).

You managed to post all the negatives.

Indeed I did, thanks for noticing! That's because my general impression of the thread was the blocks started out shiny and sexy and new, but if you read past to reports of actual use, it started sounding like an unreliable block with poorly designed attachments and a flawed autorachet that eats lines and fails mid-race. Several of these comments were from people who made the initial positive comments.

I'd be really interested in reading a thread or press release on the problems or fixes you've mentioned. I'm glad to hear they've corrected the failure problem (do you know if they did anything about the strop wear or sheet chafing? I think I've seen both versions of the block--at different times unfortunately--and couldn't remember well enough to discern a difference).

PS: I'm pretty sure hexaratchets are several generations out of date for lasers, so I do wonder if yours collecting dust because they are broken (as block failure seems to be the operative concept here) or just not as sexy as the latest blocks? If it's just the holding power, I'm not sold...even as a 125 lb girl I don't have problems holding the sheet on my full rig--and I love heavy air--so I’m not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice my new Rooster if holding power is the Orbit's main benefit.

I did follow this thread.

I bought my ratchet from Intensity for $45 US at a time where the Australian dollar was around 95 US cents. The same orbit block here is $110.

This original model did fail one day yet all I had to do was sail an afternoon with my old one before getting it swapped at my local sailing store.

Both blocks have been great and the new one's switch has improved. I have not seen any line wear or spectra strop wear as I am using a small shackle to attach it to my mainsheet eyestrap as per the instructions that I saw a while ago (unsure where they were).

Fair enough. Good idea with the shackle...or do you mean the block can be used with either the spectra or a shackle? That's kind of cool if so.

Fair enough. Good idea with the shackle...or do you mean the block can be used with either the spectra or a shackle? That's kind of cool if so.

I believe all the Orbits (ratcheting and non-ratcheting) are set up to only use a strop or tie-on, ie you can not fit a shackle in place of the strop. That was one of the ways they decided they could decrease the overall weight.

As far as some document from Ronstan acknowledging their design change on the ratchet, you'll have to check with them, I got my info from talking to one of their reps in the US. It was an internal change dealing with a spring, IIRC, so you won't be able to tell a difference, but he told me they we recalling all the un-sold blocks from the shelves and replacing the end-users blocks case by case, ie you call, they send you a the newer design, you send the broken one back.

As far as sheet wear - I've now got two seasons of sailing (approx 250 hours per year) using the Orbit, and I just end for ended my mainsheet due to some light frizzing from block wear (it's a 5 year old Rooster sheet)

I'm not having any wear issues on the strop, I'm using the Ronstan supplied strap in place of the stamped strap that comes with the boat.

Both of my hexaratchets (Big and II) are fully functioning (and the smaller "II" was the supplied block with my new boat back in '02), it's just that the Orbit is a better block IMHO then either of those.

I was referring more to the ones that come with the boats now.

But if yours is still working great after that many years, then I guess that would attest to its quality.

heh... the stock mainsheet block on a '74 is 1" in diameter, no ratchet, no bearings... absolutely horrible... sry, I was kinda being a smart-a**

This can't be done you just have to get what you are attaching it to smooth so their is no strop wear. Either make the stock laser mainsheet attachment smooth, use Ronstan's suplied one that comes with the stand up boot or use a small shackle.

heh... the stock mainsheet block on a '74 is 1" in diameter, no ratchet, no bearings... absolutely horrible... sry, I was kinda being a smart-a**

No worries.

This forum is very mild compared to a couple other I post on.

It's almost hard for me to contain myself sometimes.

Back