Is laser the best boat for my stats?

LucasScott

I am 6 foot and currently 180 pounds but this could change as needed, maybe drop 10 pounds and increase up to 210. I am very physically fit and I would like to know what my ideal olympic class and general class boat would be for my stats,
Thanks

At your current size,perfect for Laser.If you get up to 210 then start saving and looking for a Finn.

You might get disenchanted a bit in light airs.
Lighter /shorter sailors have the obvious weight advantage & can contort that bit easier within the confines of the available deck space when it's necessary to play with trim and balance, but that's light airs.
Anything over about 8 knots and we're all level.
Over 18 knots and a tall fit person applying the regular techniques and judgement ( skill ) reigns.
But that's a major generalisation, skill, experience and stamina combined = chocolates

You need a Laser standard rig and a Rooster rig just in case you wake up 30 lbs heavier. Finn is a rather expensive boat, limited races and you need to be 200 lbs and strong to have a chance.

The whole light weight kill everyone in light air is BS. The person who wins is the one who has the highest average boat speed in the shortest distance. The light weight helps with boatspeed; however, going the wrong way really fast has never won a race. If you get stuck in a hole or in a bunch start it doesn't matter whose skinny and whose fat. In light air the key is being in the right spot at the right time and going in the right direction. Boatspeed will come to those who do the former.

Ok,
So you have two sailors of equal average ability and relatively similar experience, applying the same techniques at the same time along a course, match racing if you like in light air.
one sailor weighs fifteen stone the other weighs eleven....both running standard 7m rigs....

The same two fall into a hole, which boat do you imagine would climb out quickest.
The tide is with the wind, they have to get upwind/uptide, they are both heeling and well forward, who is gonna make the most way ?

If weight is such bullkak, why carbon tillers, why lightweight sheet, why the emphasis on lighter boats in general ? Even clothing ?

Weight is a factor on light days, particularly when someone is able to get low, contort into uncomfortable body shapes for extended periods and move about the hull softly like a stalking cat.

Carbon tillers weigh more than the stock aluminum tube. People use carbon tillers because they are 3/4" closer to the deck. This allows them to get the traveler much tighter, therefore they can get the traveler block to sit in a better position. The carbon tiller allows you to point a wee bit higher. Weight is irrelevant.

Light weight sheets? The weight hasn't changed in 30 years. People started using smaller diameter mainsheets because they run thru the blocks better. My old floating 9mm polypropylene mainsheet weighs less than my rooster 7mm.

You are talking about a non existent situation. First no one is ever the same, other than actually weight. Second one guy is going to not see the hole, miss the shift to the right, get a better start, or simply go the wrong way. The light weight used to help people go down wind in a straight line where everyone is just leaning the boat forward and to windward. Now a days the person who has the best downwind technique(s turns, surfing, legal kinetics) gets to the lewward mark first.

420 sailors always make a big deal about ideal crew weight. In HS and Uni you would always see a guy steering and the lightest cutest chick he could find to crew. I crewed for a friend of mine, because I was the third best skipper and you only get two. We were competitive at high school nationals in the US. We won an advanced racing clinic in no wind. Weight wise we might as well as had a third person on board. He's now a uni coach and a hired gun whose won world championships. We had the best tactics on the water and good enough boat speed. We found the wind while everyone else was trying to heel or trim for better boatspeed.

I have always been beat by better sailors not lighter ones.

Back