Is Laser Rigging the same for all?

CapeCodBubs

Hi, I'm brand new here and excited to have purchased an older (no numbers on it) Laser in good shape with a 2009 EZ Load trailer for a reasonable price ($1500). I can't figure out the age. It has no numbers engraved and the aluminum label which most likely had all the sailboats info is totally wiped out. It has 2 sails, both with the numbers 98 which doesn't coincide with telling the age of boat via mask. My question besides another alternative to figure out age, is the rigging is in rough shape. Some of the rivets have actually come lose on the boom. Hoping i can just re-rivet. I'd like to purchase new rigging, but not sure what size to order. Any info for this newbee would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 67832397820__FA451BC7-E6DB-4024-9A71-AF8E6C0C2145.jpg
    67832397820__FA451BC7-E6DB-4024-9A71-AF8E6C0C2145.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 90
Is Laser rigging the same for all?
The short answer is NO.
The images suggest to me that you have the 'old' system for rigging the vang. This system is not as easy to adjust as the newer system. Getting the newer vang will cost you quite a bit. If you don't want to spend that much money, there are ways to make the old system more convenient.

There are different ways to rig the outhaul as well.

The rivets on the boom can be replaced. A recent thread goes in some detail about which rivets to use.
(1) Aluminum or stainless rivets on spars | SailingForums.com

Is Laser Rigging the same for all?
Generally speaking, YES. :rolleyes: The class rules are rather strict (compared to those of most other classes), but there's of course some permitted variation. The only fundamental difference control-systemwise is whether you cleat the outhaul on the boom or on the deck. The boom cleating is the original method, and if you're not going to race, that's all you need.

I can't figure out the age. It has no numbers engraved and the aluminum label which most likely had all the sailboats info is totally wiped out.
Look at the transom once again. There should be an embossed code near the starboard corner (could be elsewhere, too, but that would be an older boat than what this appears to be). Chances are that it begins with "ZFS". The aluminium-coloured sticker you mentioned didn't probably include anything but the builder's name.

The equipment shown in the pictures is somewhat conflicting: the "rainbow" sail points heavily towards the early 1980s, while the other sail is definitely post-'86. The vang cleat block is from the early '70s, and the ratchet block is very much "old school" as well. All in all, I'd say that the hull is likely close to an '81 or '82.

I'd like to purchase new rigging, but not sure what size to order.
If this means "lines", then yes, there are widely preferred thicknesses and lengths (which do vary with the purchase ratio you want to use in each system). We can go through them one by one, but even if some of your existing lines turn out to be perfectly fine, it's tempting to replace everything at once. (I tend to avoid all kinds of kits and packages, but if beldar recommends something it can't be all bad :D )

As hardware goes, practically all Laser fittings should fit in the same mounting holes with similar-sized fasteners.

Although West Coast Sailing is a great provider of all things Laser, you probably want to deal primarily with US One-Design in Yarmouth, which I understand is right next door to you :)

_

No numbers at all.
Ok, the next place to check is under the bow eye. You may have to unscrew it to read the whole number. If it's there, that means your boat was built in Europe - England, Ireland or Switzerland. Expecting a high five-digit or low six-digit number.

_

Is Laser rigging the same for all?
The short answer is NO.
The images suggest to me that you have the 'old' system for rigging the vang. This system is not as easy to adjust as the newer system. Getting the newer vang will cost you quite a bit. If you don't want to spend that much money, there are ways to make the old system more convenient.

There are different ways to rig the outhaul as well.

The rivets on the boom can be replaced. A recent thread goes in some detail about which rivets to use.
(1) Aluminum or stainless rivets on spars | SailingForums.com
Thanks for the note, Stainless Steel over Aluminum Rivets!!!

Ok, the next place to check is under the bow eye. You may have to unscrew it to read the whole number. If it's there, that means your boat was built in Europe - England, Ireland or Switzerland. Expecting a high five-digit or low six-digit number.

_
Thansk LaLi, Still no numbers. I'll proceed without as a standard Laser. Thank you!

Generally speaking, YES. :rolleyes: The class rules are rather strict (compared to those of most other classes), but there's of course some permitted variation. The only fundamental difference control-systemwise is whether you cleat the outhaul on the boom or on the deck. The boom cleating is the original method, and if you're not going to race, that's all you need.

Look at the transom once again. There should be an embossed code near the starboard corner (could be elsewhere, too, but that would be an older boat than what this appears to be). Chances are that it begins with "ZFS". The aluminium-coloured sticker you mentioned didn't probably include anything but the builder's name.

The equipment shown in the pictures is somewhat conflicting: the "rainbow" sail points heavily towards the early 1980s, while the other sail is definitely post-'86. The vang cleat block is from the early '70s, and the ratchet block is very much "old school" as well. All in all, I'd say that the hull is likely close to an '81 or '82.

If this means "lines", then yes, there are widely preferred thicknesses and lengths (which do vary with the purchase ratio you want to use in each system). We can go through them one by one, but even if some of your existing lines turn out to be perfectly fine, it's tempting to replace everything at once. (I tend to avoid all kinds of kits and packages, but if beldar recommends something it can't be all bad :D )

As hardware goes, practically all Laser fittings should fit in the same mounting holes with similar-sized fasteners.

Although West Coast Sailing is a great provider of all things Laser, you probably want to deal primarily with US One-Design in Yarmouth, which I understand is right next door to you :)

_
...and thanks for the heads up on Us One=Design as well!!!

Congratulations on the new (used) boat! Lasers are great fun, and you will love it. Here is a link to a video I made with a boat that has a similar rig. It the rigged boat is at 1:30.

Congratulations on the new (used) boat! Lasers are great fun, and you will love it. Here is a link to a video I made with a boat that has a similar rig. It the rigged boat is at 1:30.
WOW!!! Looks awesome!!! Mine could use some paint! Video got me psyched! I’m waiting for all new rigging and now you’ve got me wanting it to look like new! Thank you for the video! Bubs ⛵

WOW!!! Looks awesome!!! Mine could use some paint! Video got me psyched! I’m waiting for all new rigging and now you’ve got me wanting it to look like new! Thank you for the video! Bubs ⛵
Jack, Was this the paint you used! Thanks

Attachments

• 90FA4C77-8C46-4196-88A4-6A0DB083036F.jpeg
    90FA4C77-8C46-4196-88A4-6A0DB083036F.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 58
No, laser rigging does vary within the rules, all depending on the boat age and how much you are willing to spend to keep the rigging up to date and current.
Take a look at Southeastsailboats.co.uk, roostersailing.com, and westcoastsailing.net for ideas and upgrades to the various bits of rigging that are class legal. If you like the fine detail then tinkering with the rigging then trying out the variations is a lot of fun

Back