Is it worth using Sailkote on an older 'fish?

Mark Sundberg

I have three older Sunfish and I use them for recreational use only--no racing. Is it worthwhile using a product such as Sailkote to squeeze any extra speed out of them and also to help keep the dirt off also? All three 'fish have seen lots of use and are far from perfect, the usual scrapes and scratches on the bottom etc... Also any other advice that I can pass on to the Boy Scouts that I will be teaching the Small Boat Sailing merit badge to would be helpful also.

These boats sound like Sailkote will not help. Plus, it is hardly like Sailkote causes one boat to go noticeably faster than another. Any differences are minute. BB

Not sure if it was SailKote or a similar product, but we found it made righting a capsized boat a pain. The hull was actually slippery enough that the poor sailer couldn't get up far enough to grab the daggerboard on a turtled boatto right it. He had to get towed to shore.

Mark Send Me A Privet Email I Can Get You Help On The Small Boat Merit Badge As We Just Did Our Program Over Easter. We Do It Every Year. And I Helped At Summer Camp. Glad To Help Any Time With Kids. Ps Are You Going To The Jambo This Year.

Back