Class Politics Is it really a one design class?

Another aspect that makes racing Lasers challenging is the competition. The nature of the class attracts some very talented sailors. In small fleets (e.g. yourself and one other) then you might not notice this. However, there are large and very competitive fleets out there.

One thing always strikes me as a challenge to improving is being critical of your own performance (recognising your mistakes, etc. and learning from them). Too much of the “Its really easy” and “I’m the best (saw off all (one) challenger” attitude can hinder that learning process.

Ian

If laser sailing relies on the skipper then it is not one design racing. You could buy a "faster" skipper and win the olympics in "your" boat.

haha.

gotcha.

game over case closed.

all go home now.

I win.

boohoo

too bad.

If laser sailing relies on the skipper then it is not one design racing. You could buy a "faster" skipper and win the olympics in "your" boat.

Where's the fun in that? And, you are making no sense...are you sure you are playing with a full deck?

haha.

gotcha.

game over case closed.

all go home now.

I win.

boohoo

too bad.

are you sure you are playing with a full deck?

you know I love you Saw, we're brothers from another mother! But I agree with sailchris here. You hitting the peyote man?

19.gif

It's all about the cash and the prestige of winning, say, a watch at the Masters worlds.

If you were rich enough you could buy a team of winners, put them in your boats, cover them with advertising for whatever you sell, like chocolate or tyres or incense sticks or sanitary pads, and take the sporting world by storm.

and since you can't get exactly the same skipper for your cash, it's a bit like buying expensive gear in a development class. No block or foil is going to make as much difference as the skipper.

This is the way Laser racing will go. Into the future! and not a moment too soon.

19.gif

It's all about the cash and the prestige of winning, say, a watch at the Masters worlds.

If you were rich enough you could buy a team of winners, put them in your boats, cover them with advertising for whatever you sell, like chocolate or tyres or incense sticks or sanitary pads, and take the sporting world by storm.

and since you can't get exactly the same skipper for your cash, it's a bit like buying expensive gear in a development class. No block or foil is going to make as much difference as the skipper.

This is the way Laser racing will go. Into the future! and not a moment too soon.

The future is NOW! Ever heard of Philippe Kahn?

http://www.pegasus.com/

When I started this thread I never thought it would go this far, woo four page thread is a record for me it stirred up a lot of people!

"it's not the arrow, it's the indian" (unknown)

true going old school probably wont win u races but u can have all the best stuff in the world and be terrible, or if u practice with old school things and get used to sailing against people with all the new hardware

(be advised, rarely take advice from me)

From seing the results of this thread I think it really doesn't matter if you have all the fansy gear they only make minor adjustments to squeeze the last bit of speed out of there boats it doesn't matt if you have the carbon fiber tiller or whatever whats a few ounce diffterent in weight, if the cheesburger you ate before the regatta caused you to gain more then the lightweight parts would help. The only reel difference is the sail and the hull!!

Back