Is filling dings with "Epoxy Stik" a good idea?

Pat75

I'm thinking about filling the dings and holes in the fiberglass/hull of my Sunfish with "Ding All's" "Epoxy Stik". Does anyone have experience with this? Is it a good idea or should I put it all off and try full repair later? (Full repair such as grinding it down, laying fiberglass patches to build up the hole plus grinding, then sand and coat. - This may take too long and may not get done for a long time.) On the other hand, I can use the "Epoxy Stik" before my next sail.

No, the holes don't go through the hull, they just go to raw looking yellow fiberglass. They are around thumb nail size. The other spots I want to fill are the deep gouges from hitting the shore etc.

Maybe I should have just asked if the epoxy stik stuff was any good and would I regret using it for some reason.

You don't need to grind down and apply fiberglass to small dings like you have. Marine Tex would be fine. What does epoxy still claIm its capabilities are ? If it is supposed to work for marine repairs I'd try it. BB

I'm going with Beldar on this one. MarineTex has been a friend of mine for at least 20+ years. Great for small and even large repairs. Sands easily, so you don't have the surrounding gelcoat sanded away like with harder fillers.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have Marine Tex on hand that I have never used. I need to use a little on my new to me Sunfish and was wondering since the instructions indicate it is sensitive to the amount of catalyst, is it possible to mix smaller quantities and not have to mix it all at once or is it best to mix it all?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have Marine Tex on hand that I have never used. I need to use a little on my new to me Sunfish and was wondering since the instructions indicate it is sensitive to the amount of catalyst, is it possible to mix smaller quantities and not have to mix it all at once or is it best to mix it all?

You can definitely mix smaller quantities. It's not unusual to mix just a teaspoon-size batch for small nicks, and the container can last you a long time. It is very sensitive to amount of catalyst added though, as you noted, and the key is to keep stirring it until you feel it start to heat up. If it doesn't start to set from the stirring after several minutes you can adjust the mixture a bit and keep trying. I've jumped the gun on this in the past and applied it before it actually started setting and really regretted it -- if it doesn't actually set it's a real mess. But MarineTex is great.

The Marine Tex sounds good. It sounds like the JB Weld of fiberglass, so the putty stick I have sounds like the putty stick version of Marine Tex; It's an epoxy meant for marine applications and fiberglass. I'm going to give it a try since no one here has responded against it either. Thanks. If anything interesting happens with this stuff, I'll post it. :D

Back