Is a wooden rudder/ Centerboard within Race regulations??

Snyder83

I am considering buying a 78 laser and it is equipped with a wooden rudder and centerboard. My intention is to race the boat as soon as I figure out how to sail well enough. The issue was brought up by my girlfriend as to wether or not this setup is race legal. is it? thanks for any help- Chris

A 78, if that's what it really is, is probably too new to race legally with wooden blades; the only boats that may race legally with them are the ones that were originally shipped with them.

By 78, I'm pretty sure they were all equiped with the foam core plastic blades.

That being said, people often don't know how to tell what year their boat is. So it might be older than a 78, and legitimately have wooden blades.

I wouldn't worry a bit. Almost all fleets will welcome you enthusiastically. Once you start winning ALL the races, somebody might take a closer look at your board/rudder situation, but by that time, you will be probably be ready to buy a new(er) boat for even greater glory :).

Tell your girlfriend she has crushed your dream and hurt your felings.
The only possible solution is for her to go out and purchase a brand new Laser with all the most up to date rigging. She should then arrange a romantic dinner at a secluded place by the lake where she unveils your toy and shows you how to use it.

Tell your girlfriend she has crushed your dream and hurt your felings.
The only possible solution is for her to go out and purchase a brand new Laser with all the most up to date rigging. She should then arrange a romantic dinner at a secluded place by the lake where she unveils your toy and shows you how to use it.

Strangely, this seems entirely fair.

As long as the centerboard was supplied by the factory it is legal, even if it is a replacement... There were some third party making wood centerboards, and those were ilegal... It must be within the specifications too.

My first laser was a 74 and the original centerboard was too tick to go through the centerboard gauge on the first major I participated. The head was a little different too... I had to spend some hours sanding till it went through and the measurer approved it...

I believe that now, wooden blades are only legal to be used on the original boats they came with

Back