Is a free boat worth it?

Howard A

Friend has an PSL Laser #204** dating to 1974 she is offering to give to me. Hull only. The mast, boom, sails and all the blades and running rigging were lost in a fire about 7 or 8 years ago. Boat has not been used since, so is a bit dirty, but can be cleaned up easy enough. It also appears to have couple 2 inch rips in the flange, just aft of the bow, starboard side. Also has taken a few hits amidships about in the middle of the cockpit, both sides. Could have hit a dock or dropped on it's side. One has only cracks in the gelcoat that some might consider cosmetic. The other has a spot or two of gelcoat missing from whatever caused the damage, so you can see the glass underneath. These spots are maybe 1/4" to 3/8". That might be a bit more serious. So, aside from fixing these up, which I could probably do, I don't see a whole lot of structural issues. It could be cleaned up, patched up and made into a trainer for boy scouts, girl scouts etc.

What I would not want to do is invest a pant load of money into the replacing the missing parts. Is it possible find good used replacement parts (mast, boom, CB, rudder, etc.). Obviously used sails can be found from a variety of sources.

But even with all this, is the boat even worth messing with. Will I have more invested in it than I would have if buying a good used boat that already has all the rigging?

It sounds as tho it's structurally sound. I would not be concerned with the flaws in or damage to the gelcoat that you described. I sail a '73 Laser with a bunch of dings + scrape's all the time in all kinds of wind and it is GREAT fun (I don't race).

It will certainly never be a "competitive racer", but a serviceable old Laser can be the most fun for the least money for miles around.

Availability + cost of spars, blades, and sail depends a lot on where you are, and whether you can get some connection with or help from a nearby sailing club, Laser fleet or sailors. Used parts will likely be cheapest. You can also get non-class-legal but perfectly functional parts at very good prices from Intensity Sailing or Annapolis Performance Sailing, but even these will add up. They may have full kits cheaper; or if you call them up + tell them it's for a charity, they might work something out, maybe imperfect parts or something. It would not make any sense to spend on class-legal parts for this project.

Used parts show up a lot on the for sale part of this forum, and possibly Craigslist etc in places like FL, New England, Great Lakes, Calif. I think giving it to Scouts or a sailing club or program is a wonderful idea. If the program already sails Lasers they will probably appreciate the hull even without spars + blades because they often have some of those parts already and/or know of sources for used parts.

Good luck with it + hoping you or somebody else has fun with it. Where are you located, if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited:
I'm in Central Missouri.

Started checking Craigslist and may have found the answer to my question:

1975 Laser Sailboat

My "free boat" is equal to or better than this patched up one, and is about the same age, so all the parts should fit? But if that is all a fully rigged older boat is worth, even a free hull would not be worth much, or at least not to me.

Otherwise, if I could find someone with a wrecked or "damaged beyond repair" hull, but still had all the rest, perhaps we could make one out of two.

Once upon a time, I taught the Small Boat Sailing merit badge for a local Scout Troop. They had to beg to borrow anything that would float, and that might include a Sunfish, etc. Even a patched up, banged up Laser would have been a treat for them. But start with one or two and keep looking and before you know it, they could have a small racing fleet.

Yeah that Craigslist one at $250 WITH A TRAILER - which is a big plus - is interesting. That patch in the hull is a possible question mark.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the mast tube breaks on a large number of older Lasers. That would suggest a couple things...
- parts from a hull with a broken mast tube that don't make sense to repair + paired with your free hull = full sailable boat.
- check the condition of the mast tube on the free hull you might get:
... Pour water in it. If it drains down = probably needs reinforcing before sailing too much+too hard. If it holds water = probably strong.)

Either way, if you have a free hull with a mast tube not broken, that in itself is probably an asset that some local sailing program would be very grateful to get --- even in "as-is" condition, even without spars sail etc --- cuz they have probably lost a hull to this broken mast tube problem.

Anyway, good on you for thinking about how to make good with this hull.

IMG_9271.JPG
IMG_9271.JPG I'll check the condition of the mast tube. Good to know that stuff. Most boats seem to have their "issues" or weak links or problem areas, however you want to describe them.

She tells me that prior to the fire, it was being used. It also appears to have a black plastic self bailor on the bottom that is cracked or somehow messed up (didn't inspect it too close), but cockpit water was draining through it. Hope to give it a good scrubbing this weekend to see what else I can find. What else do I need to look for?

Picture, as is.

As far as I know, the mast tube integrity is the main issue on these older Lasers. Even if the tube leaks down and needs reinforcing, that's just a matter of 2-3 hours, $25 for an inspection port and $20 of epoxy+glass. Most or all Laser programs will be very familiar with the issue + have probably done it before with a bunch of other boats.

That small crack in the hull just aft of the bow will want a little epoxy too. But there's nothing in the picture that would suggest any real concern or any work beyond an hour to clean it up a bit + put some epoxy in there.

The drain plug in the stern looks like it needs replacing ... $5-10. Basically looks OK in the picture. Come on back if we can help in any way -- best of luck with it.
C

for free it makes a good project boat, might be fun to modify it some more and/or restore it over the winter!

I've rebuilt a couple of Lasers. IMHO a free hull only isn't worth the effort. If you tried to buy all the parts used, the chance of finding them locally is small and spars are terrible to get shipped. There are plenty of cheap Laser opportunities if you watch your local area Craigslist and keep you eyes open for one setting in a storage yard or someone's backyard. The best thing to do with the hull is advertise it locally. You have a better chance of finding someone who has a wrecked hull and needs just that, than finding all the parts to make a good boat from just a hull. Take the $100 you can get for the hull and put it toward a cheap complete boat.

Gene:

Thanks for your candid advice. Points well taken.

As for the boat hull, filled the mast tube with water and 2 days later, it's still full, so the assumption is it is sound, with no cracks, so other than the previously mentioned cosmetic issues, appears to be structurally sound.

Will explore options and keep an eye out for parts. Have also found a couple sailing clubs in St. Louis that have small Laser fleets. They may want it if I strike out finding my parts.

Back