Is $750 a fair price for a 1972 in good condition?

I have a line on a 1972 Sunfish for $750. It seems to be in GC based on the photos--clean and well-respected. I want to go out and take a look. When I'm there, provided everything looks/feels good and I have followed all the inspection hints and tips from this forum, should I counter-offer? What might folks here suggest?

Thanks!

If there is no trailer with the boat, I would say it is overpriced. I would value the boat at around $400-$450 and a trailer at $150-$200.

Now that cold weather is approaching, it should become a buyers market.

I looked on Ebay for recent sales and a 1972 Sunfish with trailer (located in CT) sold for $620 with no title for boat or trailer and a 6" crack in the cockpit. A 1995 Sunfish with trailer and dolly and 2 sets of sails (located in NY) sold for $921.01.

Judkei
Reno, NV

If there is no trailer with the boat, I would say it is overpriced. I would value the boat at around $400-$450 and a trailer at $150-$200.

Now that cold weather is approaching, it should become a buyers market.

I looked on Ebay for recent sales and a 1972 Sunfish with trailer (located in CT) sold for $620 with no title for boat or trailer and a 6" crack in the cockpit. A 1995 Sunfish with trailer and dolly and 2 sets of sails (located in NY) sold for $921.01.

Judkei
Reno, NV

$900 for a 95 w/all that is an insane deal.

I bought a mint 1980 for $600, with new rigging, good cond sail. No trailer or dolly. I think I got a good deal. I would be willing to pay $800 for my boat.

Thanks for the responses--it's helping me gauge the market.

Amusing update: this opportunity evaporated. I am in Cleveland, Ohio, and through a series of Laurel-and-Hardy emails, the seller and I realized the sale wouldn't work because he was in Cleveland NEW YORK! (We grew suspicious when I couldn't understand his offer to sail the boat to my house for inspection! I live about 4 miles inland and apparently Cleveland NY is a lakefront community.)

Be sure to take a friend. The two of you lift the boat. Tip it on its side after opening the small screw on the starboard deck by the end of the splash rail, and see if water drains out. Turn it over and inspect the hull carefully.

If two adults have to struggle to lift it, there likely is a leak. Visit the Yahoo! Groups Sunfish_Sailor group to learn about how to assess a Sunfish, it's condition, and items to look out for.

If you meet this person, they know the history of the boat, show you how they have cared for it, tell you how they launch and recover and it is apparent it has not been abused, if it's clean, shiny, the rail is in good condition, etc., you can also judge whether or not you've found "a cherry" by the situation.

$750 for a good Sunfish is a good deal. Truthfully, doesn't matter the year in my book, matters the condition and the care it has received. If it's been in a garage for 30 years, it's almost brand new!

Back