Is 12 ounces "a leaky hull".

Repete

Sunfish1909
We had some great runs this past Sunday after finally setting sail since all of my fall and winter upgrades. Memorial day was a lazy day for sailing and the boat just stayed moored off the beach.

I noticed on both days, one heavy winds and great sailing, and the second day just sitting still, I could collect about a beer cans worth of water from the stern hull drain. It is the plastic, twist to lock, kind with no gasket (?).

Is this amount of water too much or normal? Is a dry hull even more normal?

This week looks to be all rain up here in Kalamazoo. I plan to lighty pressurize the hull and do the soapy water leak tests.

Anyone with a sense of how much water is typical? Thanks ahead of time.

If you're getting 12 oz after sailing all day, it's inconsequential. Congratulations! Just be sure to drain after every sail and leave the hull open to evaporate so the foam doesn't pick up water.

Where in Kalamazoo are you sailing? :D

This week looks to be all rain up here in Kalamazoo. I plan to lighty pressurize the hull and do the soapy water leak tests.

Excellent idea. There could be more water 'hiding' somewhere else in the hull and it's important to figure out whether it's something that needs fixing.

PS: Sunfish don't normally have a drain in the stern. Did you add one, or are you sailing a 'clonefish'?

I meant to say a transom drain. It was added by the previous owner. It is a quarter turn white one. There is some type of white caulk around the face plate..........hmmm? The seal is made by the plug and face plate just tightening against each other. I thought of adding some teflon tape, the brush on type. I am finding other transom drains that do not have a gasket or o-ring. I found one with an o-ring, but really do not want to replace my current one. Perhaps the pressure test will erase my doubts of something big and that the transom drain is the only source. I do hope I do not have a leak in my deck to hull seam. Yes, my fish is an AMF Alcort Sunfish.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d6000/e5606.asp

Back