iPad Anyone?

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
So, I bit the bullet and bought the new iPad 3G last week. I will admit, I'm a bit of an apple fan gurl with all of their products except the phone due to the fact that I wasn't able to reliably use it for its primary purpose. Anyways, I'm really enjoying the iPad. I'm already carrying my laptop around less and my ipad around constantly.

I did notice some helpful sailing Apps available, including the Ship Finder App which lets you track large vessels in and around ports. A HD Tide Chart app, and even the US Sailing Rules are available for $5.99. The weather channel app is great with its detailed forecast and high resolution radar.

While I can think of some good uses of the ipad on the boat or sailboat, without some kind of waterproof, sinkproof case I'm not planning on bringing it any where close to the water! So, have you bought one of these? Have any favorite iphone or ipad apps for sailing or boating? Any good waterproof cases? It would be a killer GPS if it where waterproof. Someone needs to develop a bluetooth fish/depth finder sensor that could connect to this! Plus, what could be better than your favorite Pandora station while you sail??

Bradley, if this weren't your forum, I'd be checking to see if you worked for Apple! Ha ha. I'll buy an iPad once it's miniaturized to the molecular level and they can insert one into my brain. Borg-dom here I come! I wonder what that would do to my driving skills.

I just ordered an iPad. I'm an Apple nut. I love all their products.

I hate lugging around a laptop when all I want to do is check my email, or look up an address or phone number. I have two powerful Thinkpad that I never use because I don't like the interface, albeit Ubuntu is nicer than Windows and somewhat similiar to OS X.

I opted for the 3G iPad version. I have a feeling, I'll be ordering one or two more in the near future. For use in a car, I think they are perfect. I'd love to have a fixed mount over the bed for watching movies and even my 88 year old Mom could use one. One key factor was the cheap internet access that does not demand a contract. It is perfect for me as I travel at random intervals--so I don't need it all the time. I have wifi most places I work, and only need the 3G once or twice a year.

How is it working at your home? does everyone want to use yours? Have you seen any of the automobile mounts?

Bradley, if this weren't your forum, I'd be checking to see if you worked for Apple! Ha ha. I'll buy an iPad once it's miniaturized to the molecular level and they can insert one into my brain. Borg-dom here I come! I wonder what that would do to my driving skills.

They are called EBE's Merrily.

Go easy on your EBE's.

Had my Ipad for about a month and I love it! I would love a waterproof case, let me know if anyone finds one.

I have two powerful Thinkpad that I never use because I don't like the interface, albeit Ubuntu is nicer than Windows and somewhat similiar to OS X.

...and it's free, and can work with just about any machine, and virus free, and the support from the community is better than your paid service with Macs and PCs...Sorry guys to crash so suddenly, but as you can see I myself am a bit of an ubuntu freak. Much respect for Apple, but can't stand how incredibly restrictive they are with their stuff (try to play you itunes music in a non apple device). Windows, don't even want to go there. It takes a little while to get used to I'll grant you that, but I just think ubuntu is the way to go;).

I've thought about installing ubuntu on one of my machines but just having gotten around to it. I live in a world where I have to use Office products though, so I'm guessing using it on a daily basis is not an option. Plus I love the durability of the unibody mbp. I've dropped it several times, on hard surfaces, including a metal car jack, without any major damage.

I'm not a fan of the way apple is limiting the development of software for the iphone, ipad, etc. I wish apple would lighten up or some of the big time developers, like Google, would release their blocked software for jailbroken devices.

I've thought about installing ubuntu on one of my machines but just having gotten around to it. I live in a world where I have to use Office products though, so I'm guessing using it on a daily basis is not an option. Plus I love the durability of the unibody mbp. I've dropped it several times, on hard surfaces, including a metal car jack, without any major damage.

I hear ya'! I am in the education field and most of the programs used here are not Linux friendly, however...

If Office is the case I could recommend giving "Open Office" a try. You can download it to any OS and it is almost identical to Office (word, excel, power point, money...). Again, is free and fully compatible with office. The only thing you need to remember is to save your documents in the correct format you wish to use later (Office, PDF...). Is a nice way of weaning Widows stuff.

There are also programs that will let you run PC programs in linux (wine is one) and a really cool program I use all the time called Virtual Box which lets me run Win or Mac OS inside ubuntu like a program. No need to boot or anything. You need to work on something that only Windows can do, just open the box and use it, then click it down when you are done. Again free.

If you just want to give ubuntu a try, you don't need to sacrifice any of your OS. There is a wonderful program called Wubi, which will install ubuntu as a program, and run the whole thing without having to dive right in. At boot time it will give you the choice of either boot ubuntu or Win/Mac OS. Don't like it? Uninstall it and keep your old OS.

I run only ubuntu on my personal dell, my wife's hp runs wubi with XP/Ubuntu, and she now uses ubuntu only, and in my work laptop I have both also. I will say 90% we use ubuntu with the other part being when we have to use our old webcam which is not linux compatible (I just need to buy a new one) and once a week to sync my blackberry (BIG and only let down).

Now it is not for everyone. If you get a tummy ache just at the thought of clicking a button other than the letters,numbers, and right-left in your computer and mouse, then stay away. You need to like playing with this stuff and understand that there is a learning curve. I'll take you perhaps a week to set everything, but once is done you are set...for good! If that is the case then Mac is the way to go which is excellent. But if you want leave Windows and do not want to cough up a grand, or if you have an old slow PC that is not getting much use, Ububntu is the way to go ...IMHO. Is even Sheldon Approved:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1-Q_8EbB8A"]YouTube- Sheldon's favorite linux based operating system[/ame]

So who sounds like a salesman Now??? :p:D:p

Where do I sign??? Haha

Seriously though, I will probably try installing it on an old pc over the summer and see how it goes. I've actually got an old machine running some Linux distro on it, but it's setup strictly as a Asterisk server. I switched over to Google Voice so I don't use it anymore.

Where do I sign??? Haha

Seriously though, I will probably try installing it on an old pc over the summer and see how it goes. I've actually got an old machine running some Linux distro on it, but it's setup strictly as a Asterisk server. I switched over to Google Voice so I don't use it anymore.

:cool:

I have to admit, I'm also a little but of an apple fan boy also. I have an iPhone and absolutely love it but I'm still struggling with a reason to actually buy the iPad since it seems to do everything the iPhone does, just with a larger screen.
I already have a small netbook, so I have the portable computer aspect covered and all the apps I like I can get on the phone so I think I'm going to hold off for a bit on this one for now.

Does anyone know if the apps are all basically the same or does the iPad have its own slew of apps? (can you tell I'm looking for reasons to get one haha).

As for sailing apps, I took my iPhone with me on a sailing trip last year up around the Gulf Islands on the west coast of Canada (beautiful trip if no one's been before) and I looked at downloading a couple apps to watch tide charts and local water traffic (there are some fairly enormous ferries that frequent those waters) and they were incredibly expensive! $50 for a digital tide chart!? Yikes!
I mostly kept my phone in a ziploc bag inside a pelican camera case so I didn't have much trouble with it, though on a particularly hot day I brought it out and the display went bonkers. I don't know if it was the heat or the humidity or what but I'm not sure I'd take it out again (or an iPad).

I'm not an Apple fan and don't believe the hype, or maybe its that I generally avoid companies that try to tell me what I should like and all the negativity they express towards their competitors.

So far this is the best use I've seen for an iPad:

Bring on the hate mail :)

Secretly though, it looks like a nice unit - if only they could give it more power and open up the hardware/software for all you geeks out there.

I'm pretty happy with my iPad. So much so that we bought another one, and are considering a 3rd (16gb non-wifi).

Key factors: Cheap internet access--as needed no contracts.
Great for watching movies ripped with Handbrake.
Nice eBook reader (I prefer my iPod Touch)
Better browsing experience over an iPod Touch.
Better apps that use the extra screen real estate.
Convenient to carry anywhere.
Like the various car mounts available--Like the idea of a large screen for playing music or movies, plus web browsing.

Negatives: I don't like the email menus--too cumbersome for multiple accounts, which will change with the next OS release.
A little heavy. Needs a protective case.

Other thoughts: I like the Apple stand, just ordered a second one off eBay from China. Would consider ordering a third charging stand, but I'm looking at other sorts of mounts. Bluetooth keyboard works well, but turns off the touch screen keyboard--missed that at times.

I'm not an Apple fan and don't believe the hype, or maybe its that I generally avoid companies that try to tell me what I should like and all the negativity they express towards their competitors.

So far this is the best use I've seen for an iPad:

YouTube- Will It Blend? - iPad

Bring on the hate mail :)

Secretly though, it looks like a nice unit - if only they could give it more power and open up the hardware/software for all you geeks out there.

I generally don't drink the kool-aid either. However, their only real competition (in the PC world at least) is Microsoft. It gives me the same feeling I have in the voting booth on election day.

Like someone else said, I am struggling to find a use for the iPad, so probably will not get one. Once the novely wears off I am sure some people will stop using them as much.
Bradley, hope you are not one of the early adopters that had their email and SIM card ID exposed.

I have an iPhone and will be getting the iPhone 4 when it comes out, which is a lot more mobile than an iPad, and if I need anything bigger I just use my laptop, which is not restricted like the iPad.

Hopefully, my ID is safe. I guess if you login to the forum next week and its hacked we can blame AT&T.

I'm finding the iPad is a great iphone replacement. I switched over to the Driod after too many dropped calls or no service problems on AT&T in March. The Verizon service is great, but the phone doesn't surf the web like the apple products. I keep the iPad close by most of the time. Its great for waiting at DRs offices, DMV, traffic lights, etc. Its definitely not a laptop replacement though.

My most common tasks on the ipad are reading emails, updating my facebook/twitter, and deleting classified ads. The later is much faster on the ipad than my phone.

Yeah that's just it. It's a novelty thing for me. I mean sure I could find uses for it but I think I'd be stretching it when my iPhone and laptop already do most of these things.
Still have to admit the tech nerd in me wants one haha.

Like someone else said, I am struggling to find a use for the iPad, so probably will not get one. Once the novely wears off I am sure some people will stop using them as much.
Bradley, hope you are not one of the early adopters that had their email and SIM card ID exposed.

I have an iPhone and will be getting the iPhone 4 when it comes out, which is a lot more mobile than an iPad, and if I need anything bigger I just use my laptop, which is not restricted like the iPad.

Despite being a convert to the Mac, the thing that puts me off the iPad (and iPhone) is the way all the "apps" are sandboxed. This results in it being impossible for there to be any integration between functions. OK there are some Apple utilities to allow "apps" to e.g. access photos stores - but there are poor and have very limited functionality and make the "app" using them useless (which is why they don't).

I can appreciate the benefits of the sandbox but it is severely limiting what can be done on the device (at least what useful things can be done).

Apple will either have to open it up or bring out versions with a proper OS (e.g. OS X). before I get interested. Which is a shame as I could really use a computer in iPad format.

Ian

I completely agree, though the sad thing is apple will likely never do anything like that.
They have some pretty oddball design decisions in their devices and software thats for sure.
Despite being a convert to the Mac, the thing that puts me off the iPad (and iPhone) is the way all the "apps" are sandboxed. This results in it being impossible for there to be any integration between functions. OK there are some Apple utilities to allow "apps" to e.g. access photos stores - but there are poor and have very limited functionality and make the "app" using them useless (which is why they don't).

I can appreciate the benefits of the sandbox but it is severely limiting what can be done on the device (at least what useful things can be done).

Apple will either have to open it up or bring out versions with a proper OS (e.g. OS X). before I get interested. Which is a shame as I could really use a computer in iPad format.

Ian

Hopefully, my ID is safe. I guess if you login to the forum next week and its hacked we can blame AT&T.

I'm finding the iPad is a great iphone replacement. I switched over to the Driod after too many dropped calls or no service problems on AT&T in March. The Verizon service is great, but the phone doesn't surf the web like the apple products. I keep the iPad close by most of the time. Its great for waiting at DRs offices, DMV, traffic lights, etc. Its definitely not a laptop replacement though.

My most common tasks on the ipad are reading emails, updating my facebook/twitter, and deleting classified ads. The later is much faster on the ipad than my phone.

I bought iNavX for the iPad and iPhone. $60 and well worth it for a navigation system. It is handy for me to keep on deck when I want a chart handy. Highly recommended but no replacement for a laptop navigation system.

I'm an Apple fan boy but had never been particularly interested in the iPad until I saw them in action at a conference a couple of weeks ago and realized what lean, mean, conference-going machines they can be. They are of course way easier to lug around than a laptop. I saw a presentation run off one iPad. Another dude took notes and did all the other things on his iPad that I normally do at conferences except at the end of the day he hadn't bothered setting up his power adapter and he still had 80% battery juice left.

Here are a few screen shots from my iPad
nav 2.jpg
nav 1.jpg

I agree with Shamusunset. We also have Navionics on our
  1. iPad
  2. Galaxy S3
  3. Galaxy S4
  4. Galaxy tablet
We have some of these waterproofed and some of them....not so much. But whether we use the app in the cabin or on deck, that has been the most useful sailing app we've downloaded.
4april2014_sailingscreenshot.jpg

fishingoptions.png

I was always an Android person but after I got an iPad I discovered that apple stuff is really awesome! I use my iPad for navigating, tracking regattas and races, tracking sailing practice (and I even used it to track our takeoff in a commercial jet just to see what the speed was on wheels-up)! The iPad has a built in GPS so you don't need wifi or cell signal for it to track. Just download the free Navionics app and you can use your iPad for nautical navigation, tracking races (gives you distance overall, leg distances, overall time, average speed, max speed, and more), and saving routes so you know where you've been (and you can share the routes easily with your friends). Definitely love the iPad (and it takes great photos!)

Back