Class Politics Introducing the New Official Class Sail

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
Let's just suppose the Laser Class.. (That is those of us who pay dues to OUR association which establishes and controls OUR rules of teh game WE decide whether or not to play )
would decide next week to adopt the Intensity sail as the ONLY class legal sail for sanctioned races..

If that were the case, every participant in the Midwinters might have to purchase a new sail?

What would be the impact of this new rule we flung upon ourselves??

First off, Midwinters costs a lot for most of us. In my case, coming from Texas, I cannot accomplish a midwinters trip for under $1000. Some sailors who get hotel rooms, charter boats, bring spouses, and travel on planes spend multiple thousands. Unless the trip is already on the cusp of affordability, a couple hundred bucks one way or another really isn't all that important.

Then there is the expense of sails. Most of those who expect to place in the front half of the fleet breaks out a brand new sail for the event. My guess is 50% of the sailors buy brand new sails for Midwinters.

Do the math...

That 50 % new rags assumption says $300 per sailor will be spent on new sails.

We could team up and supply the entire fleet with BRAND NEW IDENTICAL Intensity sails for only $200 per sailor.

Now you might say, but half the sailors were not going to buy new sails and your proposal forces them to spend money they don't have...

.... odds are a certain percentage of the half who are not buying will not be buying at $600 but would be buying at $200.

You might say... But this forces everybody to spend money just to sail.

....Yes it would. Please note, we all had to spend money to get official Laser equipment in the first place. We understand having to purchase the OFFICIAL Laser.

So...a very small percentage of sailors who attend major regattas will not be purchasing new sails in 2011. Every single one of those who will be purchasing at least one sail would save $400 per sail.

How about this?? We still have time to say, The entry fee for the North American Championships will include $200 ( or perhaps less due to a bulk purchase) for a brand new sail.

As the North Americans is a "break out a new rag or be slow" event, everybody who plans to do well would save $400 and many others who just buy new stuff would save money too.

Bottom line.

If we do this...

Our North American Championships would be a more one design event than it has ever been and we would save at least $100 per competitor.

If this were a face book post I'd click the "Like" button!

Also, if our current POS class sail cost $ 200.00 I'd have no problem buying 1 every year. The funny thing about the Intensity sail is I can't find a reason to replace it yet after using it for 2 years!

Think of if this way. For the cost of 1 current class sail you could have a "quiver" of Intensity sails to rotate through and choose from for each event. Sail 1 would be the practice sail. Sail 2 would be the district level event sail and Sail 3 would be your midwinters, NA event sail!

Now for the nay sayers....How much additional cost would be involved to insure a reasonable tolerance in sail cloth and spot check measurements on panel cuts and sail size? I'm sure there's something, but there's no way it would ad an additional $400.00 per sail.

Lastly, as a class can we petition our governing body to boot the current class sail and replace it with another?

Lastly, as a class can we petition our governing body to boot the current class sail and replace it with another?

We've been seeing "jury nullification" of the class sail at the club level for years.

An interesting point was brought up yesteday after racing,

It is quite costly to be competitive on a high level in the laser when compared with other boats, if you just consider the sails alone you could get new sails for say a thistle for around $1200-2000 or so that will last about a season and you could be competitive on the highest level.

With the laser, to campaign at a high level you just about need a new sail after each windy regatta, thats $600+ per regatta, If you went to more than 10 regattas in a year it could cost you over $6000 on sails alone, more than the cost of a brand new boat!

The problem with this is that the cost is driving the next generation of laser sailors away, Most people agree the class is in desperate need of a more cost effective solution which could be solved with a new class sail.

I kind of think of this situation like an overpriced restaurant, they sell a few overpriced mediocre dinners each night barely making enough to keep the doors open and eventually they will probably fail. On the other hand a restaurant with good food for good prices will sell a great deal of dinners each night and make profit.

The overpriced restaurant probably sells 20 dinners for $20 (if they're lucky), their total is $400 - $200 for the cost of food = $200 profit/night, they spend alot of money on frozen food that doesn't taste good

The well priced restaurant probably sells around 200 dinners for $7, their total for the night is $1400 - $400 for the cost of food = $1000 profit/night, they spend much less money on fresh ingredients that taste great

The Laser class sail is like the overpriced restaurant and the Intensity sail is like the well priced restaurant.

Note:

If it is true that North and Hyde actually produce their sails for about the same price as Intensity...

Either north or Hyde could supply sails for an "everybody buys one" Midwinters or North Americans for the same low cost as Intensity.

Jut a suggeston....If North or Hyde wants to keep its sweetheart market deal with the builders, and the builders want to keep their sweetheart deal with equipment marks up under their control...

Well...... perhaps someone who represents the sailors as an officer of a Members organizaion should pick up the ball and start negotiations.

Or perhaps the membership needs to provide itself with a set of officers who will eagerly represent the best interest of sailors who play the racing game??

Oh yeah...

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!

The truth is that they are probably spending way more than Intensity to produce an inferior sail and then marking it way up

The class material is special order and the Intensity material is a newer mass produced dacron that I feel gives the same performance as a new hyde but, lasts much longer, I sailed my intensity sail several times in over 20kts and its still competitive! My class sail I used only a few times and its already time for a new one.

I think that if they actually tried, North and Hyde could build a new class sail for even less than Intensity builds their sails, and if they were priced at even double the cost of an Intensity sail, that would still be less than half the cost of the current class sails.

You guys are talking a lot of nonsense.

A Hyde sail (and I assume a North sail) will last two or three seasons if you are just doing sailing one or two days per week for 8 months of the year, before the sail really suffers a significant performance drop off, even sailing in winds regularly over 20 knots. Yes, the characteristics do change over that period of time, which requires different control line settings. Its the change in the control line settings rather than a significant performance drop off which is why the top guys change sails more regularly, but you're kidding yourself to think they are going through 10 sails a year. It's more like two, not including those sails supplied with the boats at the Worlds and Olympics. The sailors generally don't get to keep supplied sails generally, they are sold off with the boats. The top sailors want to race and train with a sail with similar characteristics to what they'll be supplied with at those key regattas. At the next level down, they are getting one new sail per season and saving it for the major regattas and the following season using it for club and training purposes. Each season they rotate sails down the line.

Having had a good look at the Intensity Sails now over the last 6 months at a club where they are being used by some club members, they seem to be equally durable to the current Hyde Sails. However, in one case with the Intensity Sail, it needed to be restitched in certain locations before it's first use. Fine for you guys to return the sail to Intensity Sail, to Intensity but the freight costs between Australia and USA are about $60 for a sail, it's not worth complaining to Intensity.

---snip---

If North or Hyde wants to keep its sweetheart market deal with the builders, and the builders want to keep their sweetheart deal with equipment marks up under their control...

---snip

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I believe the sailmakers aren't that concerned if they build or don't build under the current deal, for at least two reasons:
1. It's not anything close to a sweet deal for them.
2. They are forced, by the builders manual, to build crappy sails, which are then declared by some to be representive of the quality of all their sails for all other boats they build for.

You guys are talking a lot of nonsense.

A Hyde sail (and I assume a North sail) will last two or three seasons if you are just doing sailing one or two days per week for 8 months of the year, before the sail really suffers a significant performance drop off, even sailing in winds regularly over 20 knots. Yes, the characteristics do change over that period of time, which requires different control line settings. Its the change in the control line settings rather than a significant performance drop off which is why the top guys change sails more regularly, but you're kidding yourself to think they are going through 10 sails a year. It's more like two, not including those sails supplied with the boats at the Worlds and Olympics. The sailors generally don't get to keep supplied sails generally, they are sold off with the boats. The top sailors want to race and train with a sail with similar characteristics to what they'll be supplied with at those key regattas. At the next level down, they are getting one new sail per season and saving it for the major regattas and the following season using it for club and training purposes. Each season they rotate sails down the line.

Having had a good look at the Intensity Sails now over the last 6 months at a club where they are being used by some club members, they seem to be equally durable to the current Hyde Sails. However, in one case with the Intensity Sail, it needed to be restitched in certain locations before it's first use. Fine for you guys to return the sail to Intensity Sail, to Intensity but the freight costs between Australia and USA are about $60 for a sail, it's not worth complaining to Intensity.

Alan, 2 things: 1)- Leach flutter on a "class" sail happens in brand new sails after 3 days of 20 knot range conditions. NO amount of vang stops it. The class sail material is just too frail. I've had my current Intensity sail for 2 years now and sailed it in all conditions. Many times in 20+ or - conditions and NO leach flutter. Whatever the material or varience in material it is superior to our "class" sail material. 2)- At least with Intensity you have the option to return the sail if something is defective. Hell, they ASKED me to return a 2 yr old sail because of luff flutter in certain conditions and sail trim. Sent a full new package in return. I paid the ground freight to them on the old one. What's the customer service policy with the class sail suppliers for leach flutter or ANY kind of flutter for that matter?

Intensity is showing Laser sailors how products are supposed to be priced, perform and be supported. LP and class executives need to get their heads around this fact and make some changes for the future health of the class and their own livelyhood.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but when you argue against these non-class sails you are in a distinct minority.

Happy New Year!

The truth is that they are probably spending way more than Intensity to produce an inferior sail and then marking it way up

The class material is special order and the Intensity material is a newer mass produced dacron that I feel gives the same performance as a new hyde but, lasts much longer, I sailed my intensity sail several times in over 20kts and its still competitive! My class sail I used only a few times and its already time for a new one.

I think that if they actually tried, North and Hyde could build a new class sail for even less than Intensity builds their sails, and if they were priced at even double the cost of an Intensity sail, that would still be less than half the cost of the current class sails.

"The truth is .... " You have absolutely no idea, (that's ZERO), what it costs Hyde, North and the China Sail Factory (Intensity) to produce a sail. All you see is the retail pricing, which is set by the class builder for the first two and Intensity (acting in effect, as a dealer for CSF)

But we do know that Laser Performance will do anything in it's power to maximize it's profits and that includes buying from the lowest cost producers to get maximum mark-up. The fact that they keep buying from Hyde and North should tell you something..

I believe the sailmakers aren't that concerned if they build or don't build under the current deal, for at least two reasons:
2. They are forced, by the builders manual, to build crappy sails, which are then declared by some to be representive of the quality of all their sails for all other boats they build for.

To them it must be like manufacturing the Buggatti veyron of sails (big boat racing sails) vs the Moped of sails (laser sail)

I'm a big fan of North sails. I know they build much better stuff than our crappy class sails. While they are forced to build these crappy sails I'm guessing LP is forcing the $ 600.00 price tag? If so, they are killing themselves. The Laser class will be around LONG after LP is gone, (assuming they stick around another 20 years or so). I'd pay $ 350.00 for a new class sail every year and not bitch about it's inferiority, (much).

Alan, 2 things: 1)- Leach flutter on a "class" sail happens in brand new sails after 3 days of 20 knot range conditions. NO amount of vang stops it. The class sail material is just too frail. I've had my current Intensity sail for 2 years now and sailed it in all conditions. Many times in 20+ or - conditions and NO leach flutter. Whatever the material or varience in material it is superior to our "class" sail material.

The leech flutter is not nec. a cloth issue, as it's easily stopped/reduced with a small leech takeup on two of the seams (which is deemed illegal). To me that says it's more an issue with the broadseam offsets which are part of the "sacred" builders manual - imagine that, a designed piece for the Laser, which is less then ideal ;)

The leech flutter is not nec. a cloth issue, as it's easily stopped/reduced with a small leech takeup on two of the seams (which is deemed illegal). To me that says it's more an issue with the broadseam offsets which are part of the "sacred" builders manual - imagine that, a designed piece for the Laser, which is less then ideal ;)

And we've fixed dang near everything else deemed less than ideal. Vang, cunningham, outhaul, rudder bolt, tiller, daggerboard brake, (sort of, but at least tried to) boom and traveler blocks, fairleads and even blades, (as long as you live in Austrailia).

We all know the sail is likely not to change because it is the builders cash cow. Otherwise it would have changed by now. It's not that no one's listening as you'd have to be deaf and blind to miss all the pissing and moaning that's been going on about the sail performance and price for years. I guess they are intent to ride it until the cows back breaks.

And we've fixed dang near everything else deemed less than ideal. Vang, cunningham, outhaul, rudder bolt, tiller, daggerboard brake, (sort of, but at least tried to) boom and traveler blocks, fairleads and even blades, (as long as you live in Austrailia).

Well, we can still make the spars less subject to bend/break, funny how that nicely engineered upper mast collar that does not use rivets has not seen the light of day.

We all know the sail is likely not to change because it is the builders cash cow. Otherwise it would have changed by now. It's not that no one's listening as you'd have to be deaf and blind to miss all the pissing and moaning that's been going on about the sail performance and price for years. I guess they are intent to ride it until the cows back breaks.

Agreed - that poor cow's back looks like a U about now.

I'm a big fan of North sails. I know they build much better stuff than our crappy class sails. While they are forced to build these crappy sails I'm guessing LP is forcing the $ 600.00 price tag? If so, they are killing themselves. The Laser class will be around LONG after LP is gone, (assuming they stick around another 20 years or so). I'd pay $ 350.00 for a new class sail every year and not bitch about it's inferiority, (much).

x2, they build the sails for the keel boat I race on in the summer, excellent quality

"The truth is .... " You have absolutely no idea, (that's ZERO), what it costs Hyde, North and the China Sail Factory (Intensity) to produce a sail. All you see is the retail pricing, which is set by the class builder for the first two and Intensity (acting in effect, as a dealer for CSF)

But we do know that Laser Performance will do anything in it's power to maximize it's profits and that includes buying from the lowest cost producers to get maximum mark-up. The fact that they keep buying from Hyde and North should tell you something..

I would sure like to find out the actual numbers...

Alan, 2 things: 1)- Leach flutter on a "class" sail happens in brand new sails after 3 days of 20 knot range conditions. NO amount of vang stops it. The class sail material is just too frail. I've had my current Intensity sail for 2 years now and sailed it in all conditions. Many times in 20+ or - conditions and NO leach flutter. Whatever the material or varience in material it is superior to our "class" sail material. 2)- At least with Intensity you have the option to return the sail if something is defective. Hell, they ASKED me to return a 2 yr old sail because of luff flutter in certain conditions and sail trim. Sent a full new package in return. I paid the ground freight to them on the old one. What's the customer service policy with the class sail suppliers for leach flutter or ANY kind of flutter for that matter?
My current two race/training sails (Hyde) do not suffer from leach flutter, both have had 2-3 years of heavy usage, often above the 20 knot range. My current regatta sail (Hyde) with about 20 days usage including two days above 35 knots does not suffer from leach flutter.

With a defective Laser sail, it's covered by the builder distribution network and is covered under warranty, so it's easy to return to any laser dealer. No such network exists at least in our region to send sails back to Intensity, as mentioned above, the shipping costs back to the USA are about $USD60, so hardly worth sending back.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but when you argue against these non-class sails you are in a distinct minority.
I'm probably also one of the few who is also a member of the class association and definitely makes me think whether I should provide feedback to those who aren't class members.

Alan,

I'm probably also one of the few who is also a member of the class association and definitely makes me think whether I should provide feedback to those who aren't class members.

As somebody who also argues strongly against the 3rd party knock-offs, I think the situation is more complex that a simple "argue against".

I think that everybody in the class would be very happy to use class legal sails were there not the (alleged) value issues (price in relation to longevity). Were the cost/longevity the same there can be few people who would purchase a 3rd party sail when it has such constraints. So the 3rd party market is the result of a value issue. Some (like myself) value the strict one design aspect of the Laser class and are disappointed when, having purchased a boat find that people are just breaking the class rules. The sail has been the same for quite some time. When I purchased my Laser, it came with the same sail design as in currently available (and not at a massively different price). So I would be a bit hypocritical for me to start complaining about the price now. A bit like buying a house at the end of an international airport runway and then complaining about the noise. It is true that some sail on very limited budgets but it is also true that a lot can be achieved with old boats/sails. So often you see a boat turn up with a really old hull, sails that looks like a rag and then it wins (whilst everybody else discusses the thickness of their kicker line or similar).

I agree that the sail need sorting (and before the Olympics because the Laser is a lot more than a few elite individuals at one event - and there are solutions to their using new/old sails as well). However, when you look at the costs of racing a Laser for a year (club membership, insurance, petrol, berthing, etc.) then it is not a cheap sport (compared to some).

Ian

My current two race/training sails (Hyde) do not suffer from leach flutter, both have had 2-3 years of heavy usage, often above the 20 knot range. My current regatta sail (Hyde) with about 20 days usage including two days above 35 knots does not suffer from leach flutter.

With a defective Laser sail, it's covered by the builder distribution network and is covered under warranty, so it's easy to return to any laser dealer. No such network exists at least in our region to send sails back to Intensity, as mentioned above, the shipping costs back to the USA are about $USD60, so hardly worth sending back.

I agree there are likely a lot of non-class members that post here. As for the sails I can't speak about Hyde as I've never had one and unless the sucker is proven to provide a quality 2-3 year competitive life or is a mylar roto moulded sail I'm not dumping nearly $ 700.00 into it. It would also apprear that the sail longetivity and mast bend issues go hand in hand with the upgrading and maximized purchase capabilities of the "new" vang and other sail control lines. In the 80's and 90's I did not experience the wear issues or bend concerns.....

As somebody who also argues strongly against the 3rd party knock-offs, I think the situation is more complex that a simple "argue against".

I think that everybody in the class would be very happy to use class legal sails were there not the (alleged) value issues (price in relation to longevity). Were the cost/longevity the same there can be few people who would purchase a 3rd party sail when it has such constraints. So the 3rd party market is the result of a value issue. Some (like myself) value the strict one design aspect of the Laser class and are disappointed when, having purchased a boat find that people are just breaking the class rules. The sail has been the same for quite some time. When I purchased my Laser, it came with the same sail design as in currently available (and not at a massively different price). So I would be a bit hypocritical for me to start complaining about the price now. A bit like buying a house at the end of an international airport runway and then complaining about the noise. It is true that some sail on very limited budgets but it is also true that a lot can be achieved with old boats/sails. So often you see a boat turn up with a really old hull, sails that looks like a rag and then it wins (whilst everybody else discusses the thickness of their kicker line or similar).

I agree that the sail need sorting (and before the Olympics because the Laser is a lot more than a few elite individuals at one event - and there are solutions to their using new/old sails as well). However, when you look at the costs of racing a Laser for a year (club membership, insurance, petrol, berthing, etc.) then it is not a cheap sport (compared to some).

Ian

Well, on thing that is not going to happen is seeing the sail issue sorted out before the 2012 game. That's one unfortunate result of oning an olympic class boat..... The economy and presumed builder issues are slowing down any kind of change further. So, it's a bit like beating your head against the wall, but it feels good to vent.

It is quite costly to be competitive on a high level in the laser when compared with other boats, if you just consider the sails alone you could get new sails for say a thistle for around $1200-2000 or so that will last about a season and you could be competitive on the highest level.

It's interesting you bring up the Thistle. The Thistle class limits their members to one new suit of sails per year. Think of that for the Laser.

It's interesting you bring up the Thistle. The Thistle class limits their members to one new suit of sails per year. Think of that for the Laser.

Somewhat of apples <> oranges. Stayed mast to limit mast bend and high quality sailcloth make the sails stay fast longer.

Enforcing a one or two sail limit in the Laser class might just make for less attendence overall as people "ration" what events they are going to do, not to mention a whole 'nother layer of bureaucrazy, and people scheming on how to "beat the system"

"The truth is .... " You have absolutely no idea, (that's ZERO), what it costs Hyde, North and the China Sail Factory (Intensity) to produce a sail. .

Just a point of clarification. Intensity Sails are not made by China Sails. We have our own loft in China. Some of our competitors do use them though.

Just a point of clarification. Intensity Sails are not made by China Sails. We have our own loft in China. Some of our competitors do use them though.

I think it would be an advantage to this proposal if all the replica sellers (Intensity in the US, iSails and Rooster in the UK, etc) DID use the same Chinese loft - we'd then effectively have several regional distributors for the same product.

It allows this discussion to scale globally rather than being US specific.
Intensity is unheard of in the UK (except for readers of this forum).
It would be bad if we were able to use Intensity in the US, but then had to buy a different sail for international events.

It would be bad if we were able to use Intensity in the US, but then had to buy a different sail for international events.[/QUOTE]

You may not be aware that we ship world wide and a large number of sails into the UK specifically. We are shipping individual sails globally at a cost effective postage cost on a daily basis.

It would be bad if we were able to use Intensity in the US, but then had to buy a different sail for international events.

You may not be aware that we ship world wide and a large number of sails into the UK specifically. We are shipping individual sails globally at a cost effective postage cost on a daily basis.[/quote]

I used an Intensity sail for club events through 2010 in the UK, and was constantly asked what it was, and where I got it. The quality of the sail was often complimented.

If we move to a different sanctioned class sail I just want it to be the same one in each country I race in, otherwise the whole idea is a non-starter.

I think it would be an advantage to this proposal if all the replica sellers (Intensity in the US, iSails and Rooster in the UK, etc) DID use the same Chinese loft - we'd then effectively have several regional distributors for the same product.

Whilst I am against the 3rd party replicas, what I am really for is everybody using the same. Thus, if the rules were changed to allow sails from a specific loft (e.g. in China) and provided there was some controlled consistency in the product, that would be a change I would be in favour of.

Shipping to the UK is a very different matter from a company having a presence in the UK. Shipping costs become high, as Alan pointed out, any returns just not worthwhile, shipping delays make availability limited (we do not really have stocking local chandlers as I have the impression the US does - online companies yes but your local chandlers does not stock e.g. Laser sails). Costs would be liable for import duty (making delivery even slower and putting the cost up further).

Same product through national representation would be needed (could be exclusive distribution in each country subject to legal considerations).

My priority is competition on a level playing field. No particular interest in the builder being involved (given that they seem pretty involved in the creation of the current complete mess).

Ian

Sails are not an "off the shelf" product. Each sail is custom fit to your boat using simple measurement forms. Sailmakers have to consider all the ways.

honestly, why not set the sail dimensions, cut, panel design, and dacron weight. It would seem to me that if they all follow the same recepie then the end product should be comprable. Honestly, do you believe LP would not switch dacron manufacturers mid year if they found a great deal? So lets set the standards and then each manufacturer that wants to play can prove their product and be welcome to play?

I've raced in classes with multiple sail makers, and competition does nothing but make a class better. I remember back in the early '90's when I started using sails from my buddy here in Dallas for my MC, everyone scoffed at them, but as they started to see success, it helped him build a nice business with the class on a national level. Not to mention they were 30% less than the other makers.

I've raced in classes with multiple sail makers, and competition does nothing but make a class better. I remember back in the early '90's when I started using sails from my buddy here in Dallas for my MC, everyone scoffed at them, but as they started to see success, it helped him build a nice business with the class on a national level. Not to mention they were 30% less than the other makers.

That knife cuts both ways. People see someone else winning with X piece of equipment that is much more expensive and assume that is the reason. That's why you have $2000 blades for Optimists.

I still don't see it, if you make the size and panel shape regulation and the weight of the Dacron, then they should all be about the same, some may be sown better, but that would only go to longevity.

I still don't see it, if you make the size and panel shape regulation and the weight of the Dacron, then they should all be about the same, some may be sown better, but that would only go to longevity.

Until the Laser builders (PSA and LP) decide to change either their markup or the spec's of the sail itself (ie the "new model"), or the class it somehow able to change the rules themselves (not likely) it does not matter who makes the class approved sail, it will be the same price to the end user, built from the same less then ideal cloth.

It's not just the weight of the material, it's the "specs" of the material ie the stretch on the bias and 90 degrees that are the biggest part of the problem with today's class approved sail. No sailmaker in their right mind would purposely build a sail for the Laser from the cloth the builder's manual specs . If you dig back thru early posts here (2004 -2007) you'll see the same discussions, with no change thru today, and the sail issue is a lot older then that. There are reasons why it is the way it is and those that have the power to change it are very very resistant due to those reasons.

Back