Interesting

Not a bad idea, really. Too bad the results will be confidential.

PS: is this a 'bring your own boat' event?

So even if your hull weight and mast rake measure out of spec, you will still be allowed to compete?

On a side note, Carlos Santander is one of my favorite musicians.

Yes Fernando,

mast rake was measured in the early days (ie 70s) - this information can be found in old laser publications.

Fernando and others:
This is from Ainslie's book:

Put the bottom mast in the boat and rake it back.
Hook the end of a tape measure to the top/back of the mast and measure to the middle of the round of the transom.
148 cm is raked back, 152 cm is raked forward.
If in doubt, forward is better because it's quick downwind and you get good leech tension upwind.

Thanks Sir Ben!

Last edited:
So even if your hull weight and mast rake measure out of spec, you will still be allowed to compete?

I don't think that hull weight and rake are part of the Laser Class Rules. I surmise they are in the supersecret Laser Construction Manual.

"148 cm is raked back, 152 cm is raked forward."

I dont think these figures are correct - not right dimensions.

That is 148 / 152 inches.
It is a British system after all.
And to contextualize: Ainslie writes you should not go for the extremes "what you are really looking for is something in the middle." Too much forward creates "more mast bend." So, he does not say you should look for a 152" rake. I believe the Laser class aims at 150.5" a number I have come across a few times, but have not been able to verify.

And to contextualize: Ainslie writes you should not go for the extremes "what you are really looking for is something in the middle." Too much forward creates "more mast bend." So, he does not say you should look for a 152" rake. I believe the Laser class aims at 150.5" a number I have come across a few times, but have not been able to verify.
Thanks George, yes this is the number I have been told as well. My current (older) boat measures closer to 151.5, so I am "too much forward."

Everyone brought their own boats. They only measured the first half of boats, and yes, probably only for their stats. They will now know if Aussie boats are lighter than UK ones (they are). All boats, even the super-light ones, were allowed to race because as long as they have a builder sticker, they are legit.

Back