Interesting Nautical Terms on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace etc.

Alan S. Glos

I look at a lot of ads for sailboats, sailboat parts and other nautical items on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and the like and they are often filled with interesting terms. to wit:

"Sunfish" (A generic term for any small sailboat)

"17 Foot Sunfish" (An unfortunate Sunfish strung out on steroids)

"Wench" (A round device to pull in ropes, and easy on the eyes to boot! Often comes in pairs)

"Rutter" (A device that clamps on the back of a boat used for steering or a male deer looking for a mate. Hey, I do live in rural NY!)

"Sale pole" (Any metal or wood pole that a sale <see below> is attached to)

"Haul" (The body of the boat without the rutter or the sale poles)

"Trailor" (A platform with wheels to haul a haul from point 'a' to 'b')

"Keel thingy" (Technical term for a daggerboard, centerboard or fixed keel or something on the bottom of a haul)

"Sale" (the cloth thingy that catches wind and moves the haul across the water)

"Neds work" (Assuming you can get it off the bottom of the lake)

"Solid haul" (Waterlogged)

Colorful. Feel free to add to the list. I am sure I missed some.

Holiday Greetings.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

It's only a variant of the preceding list, but I did see an ad that showed a picture of a Snark and the text said, "I think it's a salefish".

Also, I haven't seen it, but probably someone has tried to sell a less-than-perfect "dingy".

Last edited:
Can you tell if the artist of this $17 coffee mug is a sailor?

Fullscreen capture 1232021 91831 PM.bmp.jpg

Not Sunfish related...and it is actually a catagory...but I still chuckle at times when viewing ads on CL for canoes or kayaks and under propulsion it says HUMAN

When I demonstrate how to rig a Sunfish I call the part that the halyard goes through a “tunnel”.
“Bullseye fairlead” seems a bit over the top.

I do like “keel thingy” from the original poster’s list, I might adopt that one next season.

There was a T-shirt for sail at Kohls that I nearly purchased because of the irony of it. It had a graphic of a sailboat with nearly everything mislabeled. The jib was labeled spinnaker, and I don't remember the rest, but it was hilarious.

We have a front hitch on our mower, and my Uncle had one on his F250 with cabover camper. Very influential on his 9 year old Nephew

Where do these people come from?? :confused:

"Hobie 14 Turbo With tailor Ready to sail. very good halls,sailes Ok Jib has sail tape on leach "

"Rare Vintage 1974 Macgregor 14' Catamaran Sailboat with Jib and Trailor. "

"Very solid hull ,no mass or sail. Great restore project or this style boat is easily adaptable to make a duck boat or 1 man river boat or Dinghy .Trailer is not for sell. Would consider trades as well . Looking for kayak,canoe, parlor guitar, yard aerator that pulls behind mower u can add water to. "

I just got a response from add:
“Do you have any pictures of the red/white/blue sail shown in the add?”

wait,what?
You mean pictures of the sail that is pictured in the add?
I guess 3 wasn’t enough.
Can’t wait to meet them.

Back