Intensity sails at regattas

a few points folks--

- just because its not a grand prix event, its still a LASER event. if youre not using an official LASER sail youre not sailing a LASER

- everyone else has bought a real class sail, so why shouldnt YOU have to?

- i love intensity sails for practice. they were designed for practice.

- unless 100% of your fleet agrees BEFORE sailing that its ok if youre not sailing a real LASER dont leave the dock

- by using an intensity during a real event with RC, judges, PRO, etc you not only are cheating your competitors, your cheating the class

a few points folks--

I would agree. And note that it applies to all 3rd party sails not just Intensity sails. When the topic came up a few months ago, somebody pointed out that the sailing instructions cannot waive the class rules, even if everybody wants to ... found it http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=10483. Seems using the word "Laser" is quite important and how good a turnout would you get to an event advertised as "non-Laser regatta" ?

Ian

Quite a random rant but I do agree. Sailing at a Laser class sanctioned event your boat should be 100% class legal.

3rd party sails are fine for training and club racing (if your club permits it).

Just my point of view, I know others disagree.

some people just find it hard to follow even simple rules.

Laser.jpg

a few points folks--

- just because its not a grand prix event, its still a LASER event. if youre not using an official LASER sail youre not sailing a LASER

- everyone else has bought a real class sail, so why shouldnt YOU have to?

- i love intensity sails for practice. they were designed for practice.

- unless 100% of your fleet agrees BEFORE sailing that its ok if youre not sailing a real LASER dont leave the dock

- by using an intensity during a real event with RC, judges, PRO, etc you not only are cheating your competitors, your cheating the class

I think the class is cheating all of us, on just about every little part down to the nuts and bolts on the laser, the class cheats me, I cheat the class, bad business by laser!

I think the class is cheating all of us, on just about every little part down to the nuts and bolts on the laser, the class cheats me, I cheat the class, bad business by laser!

Now that is an interesting angle.

I, too, am amazed at what the class rules can cheat me out of for the little metal goober for dual turning blocks at the bottom of the mast. And I understand that if I don't buy one from the official builder then I am in violation of the strict class rules. I really do believe that the rules are what make the boat what it is.

But someone has to explain to me how this part is so special as to be something the class's rules can cheat me on, and yet I can install anything from a shovel handle to a carbon fiber miracle for a tiller and be blessed.

Are we such a special class after all? Those that bought a 'classic' Laser were pretty sure they would race against identical boats for the life of their craft. But when a bit of politics/money gets involved, the classic Laser owner finds himself/herself racing against 15:1 vangs and 6:1 cunninghams/outhauls. The opponet's boom may or may not be sleeved, it's really hard to tell. The number of mathematical combinations for a 'legal' Laser is mind boggling. Did the classic Laser owners get cheated here? Probalby not, as long as they have another 800 $ to buy go-fasts for their strict one design class boat.

Some things are simply not for me to understand :). When I sail an 'official' event, I will be flying an 'official' sail. When I need a 4.7 for my grandkids, you can bet it'll be from a third party vendor.

In todays economic times, I am surprised that Intensity Has not yet been bought out by a leading manufacturer, so that they can maintain and and control everything, brands at one price and generics at another. These are not for class functions but at clubs and frostbiting?

Ik were youre coming from... But until laser reduces the price on their sails, im going to be one of those "cheaters"... Most people i know who use them just cant afford the price of a new class legal sail.

Now that is an interesting angle.

I, too, am amazed at what the class rules can cheat me out of for the little metal goober for dual turning blocks at the bottom of the mast. And I understand that if I don't buy one from the official builder then I am in violation of the strict class rules. I really do believe that the rules are what make the boat what it is.

But someone has to explain to me how this part is so special as to be something the class's rules can cheat me on, and yet I can install anything from a shovel handle to a carbon fiber miracle for a tiller and be blessed.

Are we such a special class after all? Those that bought a 'classic' Laser were pretty sure they would race against identical boats for the life of their craft. But when a bit of politics/money gets involved, the classic Laser owner finds himself/herself racing against 15:1 vangs and 6:1 cunninghams/outhauls. The opponet's boom may or may not be sleeved, it's really hard to tell. The number of mathematical combinations for a 'legal' Laser is mind boggling. Did the classic Laser owners get cheated here? Probalby not, as long as they have another 800 $ to buy go-fasts for their strict one design class boat.

Some things are simply not for me to understand :). When I sail an 'official' event, I will be flying an 'official' sail. When I need a 4.7 for my grandkids, you can bet it'll be from a third party vendor.

Remember this. All of the upgrades that came 10+ year ago were voted in by class members. Just like the changes the class is asking members to vote on now. I agree the sail is a big issue and it's my number 1 gripe, but when you compare our boats with other more "open" classes such as the Finn we have a much less expensive toy to play with. Also, it's not the class that's getting the money from the expensive parts it's the builder/parts supplier and there are concerns there as well. The "Class" is not screwing anyone. Anything can always be done better, but at the end of the day I support our class and the strict one design philosphy. As a competitor that is very important to me. If I were only day sailing or at most local club racing I would not be worried so much about keeping my boat up to the strict Laser one design code, but keep in mind that hurts you if you ever plan to sell the boat and should you decide to step up a racing program you'll have to go back and undo any non-class allowed upgrade.

Lastly, there are less expensive ways to bring a "classic" rig up a notch as far as vang control and cunningham/outhaul control. You can take a classic vang and with a couple of small blocks and longer line you can double the purchase. Also, you don't have to buy the pre-packaged" cunningham/outhaul upgrade kits. I assembled my own, (class legal) buying individual blocks and line for a smaller amount. The rigging shops selling the pre-packaged kits can charge more because they are doing the thinking for you.

My boat is a 98 model and still sailing just as strong as 2011 hulls. I believe that is a testiment to the value on our strict class rules. It was classic rigged when I bought it in 2004.

If you're wondering how to upgrade your boat for less search the forum. There are threads on how to do so.

Back