Insurance

Flying Monkey

Every year I think about putting insurance on my boat but never get around to it, so I'm giving it another shot. For those of you out there that have insurance, what type of insurace do you have (liability, theft, hull damage etc...)? What does it end up costing per year? any deductible?
I haven't had any luck talking to an insurace company that deals with small sail boats, so I thought I would ask the forum, and then see if I want to look furthur.

Thanks
Eric

Flying Monkey said:
Every year I think about putting insurance on my boat but never get around to it, so I'm giving it another shot. For those of you out there that have insurance, what type of insurace do you have (liability, theft, hull damage etc...)? What does it end up costing per year? any deductible?
I haven't had any luck talking to an insurace company that deals with small sail boats, so I thought I would ask the forum, and then see if I want to look furthur.

Thanks
Eric

Eric,
My boat is insured through Progressive. I have replacement coverage and liability with a $250 deductible for just under $100 a year. I think. That's just off the top of my head. They won't give you replacement coverage on a boat older than five years, but you can tell them what the boat is worth and they'll insure it for that. Their US number is 1-800-776-4737. I've never made a claim (and hope not to) so I don't know if they are any good.

Janet

Flying Monkey said:

Thanks
Eric

Eric,
You should check your house insurance, they usually have a section that covers sailboats under 24ft LOA, with no extra premium. I have used it for my Laser and a 'Shark' keel boat.

Yeah, I have Allstate for my International-14. I was considering it for my laser though as it is quickly becoming more valuable than the I-14. (darn development classes)
I pay $165/yr for a $10k policy on my I-14. I should consider adding it to my homeowners policy though... Good idea!

if you have a larger boat there is usually a dinghy clause, the insurance for my 40 footer covers the laser, the limit is about $5000 but I think the same deducitable applies for both, so the deductible is a thousand, i haven't checked it in a while. Honestly my laser isn't worth 2 grand so the expense of insuring it isn't worth it if i lost it. But if I did lose it I'd definately try to claim it as my dinghy.

just be careful with insurance, the insurance companies treat racing dinghies differently to recreational dinghies

Back