Instead of cleating the mainsheet...

Fremont

OK, I'm new to Sunfishes, just got mine last fall. What a fun little boat! Mine didn't have a block for the mainsheet, but it had the hook. I added the block (not a ratchet block, but I may be changing that), and use the hook as a quasi-cleat. I've been looking at some threads on the various cleat placements, considering them.

Then, yesterday, I was sailing and needed a hand free to put on my sunglasses. So (and you experienced Sunny sailors no doubt already do this) I stepped on the mainsheet to hold it. It occurs to me that I don't need to cleat it, just step on it, and if I need to release it, just lift my foot. So, is this brilliant, or stupid?

On a related note, I had my first capsize yesterday! Big gust, holding the sheet tight, hiking out horizontally as the wind heeled me further and further, stubbornly refusing to release or head up until SPLASH! The water was warm, so it was pretty fun. And I got to test out the bailer.

And, I've been reading "Second Wind", a book by Nathaniel Philbrick about his rediscovering competitive Sunfish racing. It's inspiring me. Where in the Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin area do people race Sunfishies? Think Lake Geneva area.

Then, yesterday, I was sailing and needed a hand free to put on my sunglasses. So (and you experienced Sunny sailors no doubt already do this) I stepped on the mainsheet to hold it. It occurs to me that I don't need to cleat it, just step on it, and if I need to release it, just lift my foot. So, is this brilliant, or stupid?

On a related note, I had my first capsize yesterday! Big gust, holding the sheet tight, hiking out horizontally as the wind heeled me further and further, stubbornly refusing to release or head up until SPLASH! The water was warm, so it was pretty fun. And I got to test out the bailer.

And, I've been reading "Second Wind", a book by Nathaniel Philbrick about his rediscovering competitive Sunfish racing. It's inspiring me. Where in the Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin area do people race Sunfishies? Think Lake Geneva area.
I use my teeth. (Wind permitting).
:oops:

Well I wouldn’t exactly called myself an experienced sunfish sailor but I’ve stepped on, held it under my arm or held both the sheet and tiller in the same hand. Sailing with 2 little ones I find I’m often in need of a free hand or 2!!!
So stepping on the sheet with my other leg over the tiller extension, or holding the sheet under my arm with the tiller propped against my back is a common maneuver.
Just adds to the fun

Back