Installing tiller extension

Janina

I just bought a Ronstan Battlestick telescoping tiller extension and it didn't come with any hardware or instructions for installation. Is it supposed to come with the hardware? DO I use screws to go into the tiller or nuts and bolts? What size, diameter?
Thanks
Janina

Janina,
here is "some" info given on the Ronstan site

http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine/range.asp?RnID=072#related

It looks like two stainless steel screws. I would add epoxy to the pilot holes of these screws. Or you could drill through the tiller and then countersink the under side of the hole to allow a bolt and washer (SS) to be flush with the bottom of your tiller and place your washer and lock nut on the upper side of the tiller. This would be stronger, I feel, to be through bolted and flush to not scratch your deck.

I have yet to make this upgrade, I am still on a wooden extension. I would install it with the through bolt. There are other racers and rec sailors that may chime in with their installations and hopefully some photos too. Too bad you did not get the hardware with your extension. The price of these things should include both instructions and hardware. Call your distributor and ask for both. Good Luck.

I just bought a Ronstan Battlestick telescoping tiller extension and it didn't come with any hardware or instructions for installation. Is it supposed to come with the hardware? DO I use screws to go into the tiller or nuts and bolts? What size, diameter?
Thanks
Janina

It looks like you need a saddle. It's an inexpensive piece of plastic that attaches with two screws to the tiller. The extension universal slides into the saddle.

Be sure to get a Ronstan saddle; other brands may not fit your Battlestick.

It did come with the plastic saddle but no screws or bolts for attachment. I like the idea of bolting it through and recessing the heads from underneath.

It did come with the plastic saddle but no screws or bolts for attachment. I like the idea of bolting it through and recessing the heads from underneath.

In that case, it looks like you only need two screws that fit the indentations in the saddle to fasten it to the tiller. The saddle should see no strong forces; therefore, through bolting isn't necessary (in my opinion).

As said in previous reply, through-bolts are an absolute overkill. I'v been using the saddle with simple SS wood screws (which should have come with the stick) without any problem. Not much stress on the saddle no matter how you sail. And maybe the next owner will not like those two holes through the tiller which may weaken it.

Fred

I suspect the reason it did not come with screws/bolts is the manufacturer has no idea what type of tiller you will be using and did not want to send every possibly type/length of screw. For example, you are mounting this on a wood SF tiller, but you could be mounting it on a low profile carbon Laser tiller, a Finn tiller, maybe even a 470. BB

I noticed that you bought a telescoping extension. So I retract my comments that it might be used on a Laser, etc. No one on one of those boats will be using a telescopic extension. You might want to consider swapping it for a non-telescoping version. That length adjustement really is not needed on a Sunfish. You may find that it adjusts itself just when you least want it to. BB

I noticed that you bought a telescoping extension. So I retract my comments that it might be used on a Laser, etc. No one on one of those boats will be using a telescopic extension. You might want to consider swapping it for a non-telescoping version. That length adjustement really is not needed on a Sunfish. You may find that it adjusts itself just when you least want it to. BB

A bit off-track, but I have been wondering about telescopic extensions; what are the Pros and Cons? On 'big-time hiking' days, a (2") longer extension would be good for me. But on less windy days, my stock one (32") works fine and makes tacking a bit easier. So I thought that a telescoping one would be a nice compromise. Never bought one though.
However, BB writes that the telescoping version has a (potential?) problem.

Other comments?

In that case, it looks like you only need two screws that fit the indentations in the saddle to fasten it to the tiller. The saddle should see no strong forces; therefore, through bolting isn't necessary (in my opinion).

This is exactly how the new boats come. No need for thru-bolting.

I needed to buy an additional 'saddle" that was curved on the underside to match the shape of the tiller. That came with 2 stainless screws:

http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF3136

You should be able to get this from any outlet that sells SF components. I sawed off about 1.5 inches off the tiller to remove the piece with the hole through it, rounded off the end and varnished it. I then placed the saddle on, marked the hole position and then drilled 2 pilot holes. (As Repete suggested, epoxy in the holes would not be a bad idea). Slide in the extension into the flat saddle, screw that through the curved saddle into the tiller and then snap down the cover. After installation, the extention will point upwards (!) until you use it for a while.

D

A bit off-track, but I have been wondering about telescopic extensions; what are the Pros and Cons? On 'big-time hiking' days, a (2") longer extension would be good for me. But on less windy days, my stock one (32") works fine and makes tacking a bit easier. So I thought that a telescoping one would be a nice compromise. Never bought one though.
However, BB writes that the telescoping version has a (potential?) problem.

Other comments?

My experience with these are the type that loosen up to adjust by twisting the extension, then you tighten by twisting it the other way. When you are hiking and it is windy, it seemed like I'd end up twisting the thing by accident and next thing you know the extension is basically loose! For just a 2-4" inch diff in length my experience is that the telescoping model can be more trouble than it is worth, but others may feel diffently. BB

Back