Installing a "$tingy Sailor" self-tacking jib.

Winston29

Has anyone tried this system? How to Rig a Self-Tacking Jib for Free!

I'd be installing it on a 15' day sailor/dinghy and would use the existing jib cars, cleats and fairleads to secure it, along with a few extra fairleads to guide the bridle in the right direction. I'd probably use both cars, not just the one-sided system shown in the diagram, so adjustments could be made from either side of the cockpit.

All jabs and snide remarks about not needing a self-tacking jib on a dinghy aside, would this system work? Is there any reason why it wouldn't? I'm curious if the lack of a sliding block on a track, would result in improper sail shape or not. Not that that's much of a concern to me. I won't be racing.

To my layman mind, it seems like having the ability to adjust the tension, thereby shortening the bridle and allowing the jib clew to be pulled down and back, much like the traditional sheets do now, would work OK. Am I wrong?

It does kind of look like the bridle wouldn't be able to pull the jib back enough, but only down.

Actually, come to think of it, I sit pretty darn close to the jib cleats when I'm at the tiller, so perhaps this is a non-issue.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c8c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c8c.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Any self-tacking jib sheeting system works only if the foot of the jib is shorter than the "J" measurement, that is, the mast-to-jib-tack distance. "Stingysailor" himself lists some of the obvious problems with an overlapping jib. That he then claims this system "works" is not a very logical conclusion.

_

I was wondering if any self-tacking system would work on the 14.2, given the jib extends so far behind the mast.

Back