Installing A Metal Drain Bushing Assembly -Ideas?

LooserLu

LooserLu
Hi,
the past weekend, at a Laser race here, where I am sailing, a sailing mate did sail an old Laser with an old broken plastic Drain Bushing Assembly. Wateris inside of the hull in resson of this failure. He needs to dry the hull inside and then: a replace of the old defect assembly to a modern "metal Drain Bushing Assmbly" like this:

http://shopna.laserperformance.com/link.aspx?ProductGuid=91284&GroupGuid=2689

I was happy to find one in my reserve box for Laser parts and donated it to him. Unfortunately I have no idea, how to install correct this assembly to the cockpit base (inside and outside), nor he. Does anybody has useful instructions for us? Thanks!

Ciao
LooserLu

Hi Lu,

Firstly remove all evidence of the old one including any sealant that may be left over.

Secondly the 'nut' side goes in with where the self bailer should be

Thirdly use a generous amount on sealant when you re-assemble

Finally...make sure the lip of the new bush pulls up tight to the base of the cockpit when you do the nut up. You may need to widen the hole as I believe the old plastic bushes were smaller than the newer brass ones.

Cheers,

Paul

PS you will need to remove the bailer, once you have done this it is simple and obvious ;-)

Paul, thanks for th input. Your advises help a lot.
There are some older TLF infos about the bronce bushing Assembly, but I was not clear in my mind about, which side to drop in the assembly. From your hints I guess, the washer comes to ouside, too. In those older replies, "gouv" recommends to examine if the cockpit sole is really fixed to the hull. I guess, if the cokpit is fixed to the hull, any good marine sealant will do a good job to get dry the drain hole again with the new assembly. The wall of the cockpit at the drain hole is not rotten, nor a the hull, only the plastic bushing assembly is cracked away. Yes, of course, the auto bailer has to be dismount, before doing this maintenance work. We enlarge the hole with a Dremel driller, if there is a need for.
Ciao
LooserLu

Hi - responding to a very old thread. I’m looking at a Laser we just purchased that appears to also have been “upgraded” to the metal drain assy and auto bailer buuuut whoever installed it installed it backwards with the six-sided bit facing the cockpit instead of facing the auto bailer. I’ve also been finding it difficult to push the plug in properly and am starting to wonder if it is because the “nut”end is narrower and therefore a touch too narrow for the plug. Wondering if I should just let the sleeping dog lie or whether I should disassemble and correct. If I do, what sealant is recommended to make sure the assembly is water tight?

Hi - responding to a very old thread. I’m looking at a Laser we just purchased that appears to also have been “upgraded” to the metal drain assy and auto bailer buuuut whoever installed it installed it backwards with the six-sided bit facing the cockpit instead of facing the auto bailer. I’ve also been finding it difficult to push the plug in properly and am starting to wonder if it is because the “nut”end is narrower and therefore a touch too narrow for the plug. Wondering if I should just let the sleeping dog lie or whether I should disassemble and correct. If I do, what sealant is recommended to make sure the assembly is water tight?
If you can post some pictures it would be helpful to avoid confusion.

Attachments

• 627F7EC3-010F-4002-876C-0A7E78450EEB.jpeg
    627F7EC3-010F-4002-876C-0A7E78450EEB.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 91
  • B3ECD7DD-B56D-4998-AF6E-B130D25EB4D0.jpeg
    B3ECD7DD-B56D-4998-AF6E-B130D25EB4D0.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 102
I just purchased an older boat. The previous owner said the boat does take on water. The brass bushing inner diameter is much bigger than the plug. I'm wondering if I should order a new brass fitting or will it be much smaller and not fit the opening in the hull. Maybe it's best to keep the fitting I have and try to find a bigger plug?
Has anyone else had this issue? I'm guessing a previous owner swapped out the brass plug with what is currently installed and it's probobly not made for the Laser.

Back