inspection port

sailingtiger

can i put an inspection port on the starboard side of the cockpit right by the block where it is slanted i have likea 4 inch plate that i want to put there is there anyt supports right there? :confused::confused::confused: please email me at [email protected]

Hi all,

this is my first post. I just bought an '84 Laser in excellent shape. Down the road I may want to put in a port and bag for small item storage. Does anyone here have a diagram of where the frame is under the deck?
I don't want to cut the hole and find out that I am cutting into the frame.

Thanks
Danny

can i put an inspection port on the starboard side of the cockpit right by the block where it is slanted ....
Hi.
Here is a photo of my old Laser. I installed 2 inspection ports of RWO (that ones that are to take, if one wants to use a storage bag /"barniebag"). At NA, those inspection ports not come from RWO, but the work to do is the same. I did use stainless-steel bolts and nuts and washers and also sealed the ring of the inspection port everywhere to the deck with marine sealant, to be sure, the inspectionport really is installed waterproof. To cut out the big holes with an electronic-stitch-saw, I used a selfmade pattern made outt of pasteboard. Be careful, you ony have one try per hole ... :D

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Laser 46xxx.jpg
    Laser 46xxx.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 141
I have an inspection port on the starboard side of the centre case, as poster one suggests. Seems fine to me, though i read that it is recommended to put it on the port side so you don't break it with your knee when rounding the windward mark. Never touched my starboard hatch with my knee so clearly only a problem for some.

Hi,
the advantage of the RWO inspection covers that I use (see the attached thumbnail. I use those that I have marked with a red arrow) is: The likelihood that this ones do break is very-very low. I often did stand on them with my full weight on them with only 1 foot (my weight is over 200 lbs). That is nothing, that I read at somewhere the www or in any book or got from any hearsay - it is my own experience, over years. I'm so sorry to say that, "chainsaw".
Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• RWO-Marine-Equipment UK.jpg
    RWO-Marine-Equipment UK.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 107
Hi.
Here is a photo of my old Laser. I installed 2 inspection ports of RWO (that ones that are to take, if one wants to use a storage bag /"barniebag"). At NA, those inspection ports not come from RWO, but the work to do is the same. I did use stainless-steel bolts and nuts and washers and also sealed the ring of the inspection port everywhere to the deck with marine sealant, to be sure, the inspectionport really is installed waterproof. To cut out the big holes with an electronic-stitch-saw, I used a selfmade pattern made outt of pasteboard. Be careful, you ony have one try per hole ... :D

Ciao
LooserLu

Last edited:
I am wondering what diameter those ports are and if 6" ports will fit next to the daggerboard well without issue.
Thanks!

I have no inspection ports on my boat, but the ones LooserLu had on his 1970s boat fourteen years ago look very much like the 150 mm size that I linked to, just measuring from the picture. Looks like that's the biggest that will fit in that location.

_

Back