Inspection port

$5formerly $10...Wow...GREAT for those 58-mile adventures! :cool:

"Fits the Bottleport!!" :)
Bottleport= $29.99 :(

most inspection ports...Ronstan, etc are about 3 Xs the price. West Marine, Defender, etc. I'm gonna order a couple and be the guinea pig, I guess!

While on the topic, has anyone put an 8-inch inspection port behind the splashboard? (Just asking, as an 8-inch inspection port will accommodate my extension paddle).

I use the 8 inch port as it works good for storing lines and general access
for removing water. I think I generally use a 8 inch behind the splash guard
and a 6 inch in back. Between the two you can get at all the fitting bolts
except the bow handle.

My most recent inspection port purchase was about one year ago. The six-inch inspection port purchase was about $12. Protecting it from the sun was a good idea, so I spray-painted both sides before installing. The pant was a Rustoleum product—designed for plastic. A few days later, after a heavy dew, the paint started peeling off. :(

Oh well, it got installed anyway. :rolleyes: In addition to whatever the slick finish was, the port seemed thin and cheap. The rubber seal couldn't seal or even fully make contact as designed. This Chinese product was no match for the old Beckson inspection ports. (Of which I have several). :cool:

With an
While on the topic, has anyone put an 8-inch inspection port behind the splashboard? (Just asking, as an 8-inch inspection port will accommodate my extension paddle)..

With an 8 inch port, would there be room to slide in a mast sleeve and hacksaw so if your mast folds due to a “microburst” you could effect an on-the-water repair? :rolleyes:

The sleeve wouldn't have to be a perfect fit, but if secured to the windward side of the Sunfish, it would be a very small weight "penalty" for such an important repair during a 58-mile adventure. :cool:

Received today and seem fine. Not sure how how UV resistant they are..but my use for them is out of any sunlight. Seems made of a cockpit shower plastic, I've seen....but certainly usable.

If you're using screws [not bolts-not rivets] to attach the inspection port, wouldn't it be a good idea to chamfer the holes you've drilled into the Sunfish deck? (To lessen the chance of spider cracks where the deck is locally stressed).

Yes....I always wallow out the hole, usually with my Phillips screwdriver, when using self tapping screws. If not as you mention, the gelcoat can tend to crack from the holes.
Hard to describe, but these are not mounting on a deck, but inside a locker bulkhead on another daysailor for under cockpit floor ventilation.

Back