Inspection port with Loctite Marine Sealant

kebwi

I have this stuff, which I used to attach a mast cleat, drain plug, and mast-bottom-cap:

I realize it's far less common on this board than 3M 4200 and 5200, but I already have it. I think my old Sunfish is heavy (I'm forgetting how I determined its year at one point, as the serial number is not visible on the brasswork around the old spoon rudder (which I converted to a spring-flip-up design last summer, see one of my other posts about that), but it's very old). I don't have an easy way to measure it. I'd have to find someone to come help me lift it onto a scale, but I think it's heavy. I'm considering attaching an inspection port in front of the daggerboard and am tempted to seal it with the Loctite indicated above. Would that work (and work well and watertight and have a decent lifetime) as opposed to buying the silicone sealant that is often described in inspection port installations? How big a bag should I expect a six inch port to have, centered on the deck, in front of the daggerboard, at its far sides as the deck curves away? 1/8"? 1/4"?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Should work fine, our friend uses it on everything, even for sail patches vs stitching. Not much of a gap amidships, 1/16th maybe. Dry fit it first, make sure capa screws in and out to find out and go from there.

Be sure to have the cap screwed in the port hole while you install. This will keep it from bending and conforming to the deck. As signal Charlie say be sure to screw and unscrew during the process to check that it is not bending during the install.

Back