Inspection port threads combined!!!!!

DJ_GAFFA

Hi all,

I know it has been covered over and over in other threads, but I just wanted to ask some advice.

I have a 2003 boat, solid, no issues. A guy down the club has told me it would be a good idea to put in an inspection port. (I obviously don't have one currently).

What would be the benefit/drawback of adding one. I know it gives access etc, but is it worth it, or will it drop the value of my boat???

Thanks.

Re: Inspection port again!!!!!

As a general rule if you don't need one don't put one in - but where else do you keep your cigarettes?

I had always assumed that if they were such a good idea then new boats would come with them pre-fitted in the "best" location. I would imagine that the "best" location might depend on what you are wanting to inspect or repair.

Ian

I put one in because I feel it helps the boat stay dry when not in use. You take the cover off and it helps the hull air out while being stored.

I just take the drain plug out and leave it in my boots bag. Yes, I have forgotten to put in back in - only once though.:eek:

Funny. I always leave my drain plug in. I get worried about loosing it or forgetting it. The inspectiuon port cover is too big to loose. Just shows how we all do things a little differently like the main sheet management discussion.

The manufacturer stopped installing them with new boats because it was the #1 source of leaks. Also many a knee has been put through the screw hatch. If your boat is dry and doesn't need internal surgery no need to add one....

I put one in my boat because it was in need of a repair to the mast support. It has been very handy for the extra safety lines etc that the coast guard makes us carry in canada - also not a bad place to keep the lunch and beer when the wind dies down - I have not put one in my other boat yet as it is still dry after any amount of sailing - the first boat is a 78 and second an 84

I put one in my boat at the beginning of this season. Never had a problem with water in the boat before, and still is dry even after sailing in strong conditions with the occasional capsize. Boat was built around 1984ish. Probably wouldn't have bothered with a hatch, but I needed somewhere to put the car keys while sailing (key has the electronic bits in it that dont like getting wet - so attaching key to PFD as previous was not an option). I put silicone under the edges of the inspection hatch when installing to ensure there were no leaks there. I guess the rubber seal on the lid might be the weak point once it gets older......

I think you should consider one. Everyone in my fleet puts one in. The veterans swear by them. My boat is a 2002 and has been "dry" all its life. I put mine in this season and when I cut the boat open, then entire hull was damp on the inside. By the end of the day, with the port hole in it, the entire hull was dry. Over the long term, I think that equates to a lighter, stiffer boat than one that hasn't been relieved of that light mist inside the boat. I managed my extras onboard without the storage bag but will get one for convenience next year.

From a structural standpoint, A round hole in the deck of one of these boats is not a liability. If properly installed and maintained, an inspection port should not be a source of leaks either. A buddy of mine has a boat from the 1984 Worlds which had a port bedded and riveted in . For my 1979 and his other (1980) boat, we chose bedding and through-bolting with good quality stainless hardware.

Cutting a hole in anything you love, especially if it is going to be seen, is not an easy thing, but as mentioned above, it is essential if you want to keep the inside of the hull dry. Also, with a digital camera, you can get a very good look inside.

Hope this helps.

Why install inspection ports?

I'm looking at buying a boat and a few of the ones I've come across have had inspection ports. I've seen them by the mast, which might indicate a mast step repair (right?). I've also seen one with a port next to the daggerboard trunk slot. Would this necessarily mean there was a problem with the trunk? Could it just be for storage? I've heard of some people 'airing out' their boat via a port--is that valid? Will it detract from the structural strength and/or stiffness of the boat? Thanks in advance.

Re: Why install inspection ports?

You can use it for a few things:

Airing out the boat when trailering, storing extra snacks, water, clothes, easy access should something bad happen to the hill, etc.

I recently bought a laser with the an inspection port by the daggerboard trunk, they converted it into a small watertight storage space, for a allet or cell phone

i have a 1981 laser and it looks like there is an inspection prt on the right of the degerboard slot but its a waterproof compartment, i dont know if it doubles as an inspection port, but was it factory installed or not??

i have a 1981 laser and it looks like there is an inspection prt on the right of the degerboard slot but its a waterproof compartment, i dont know if it doubles as an inspection port, but was it factory installed or not??

I cannot tell you much about it without some pics. Is the "waterproof compartment" removable? Is it rigid?

Heres a picture of my cockpit the inspection port is on the top right, the ductape on the hiking strap is to reduce wear not because it is broken.

I've been convinced that a port is essential to dry the boat out. Personal preference on where it goes. I've seen them near the mast, halfway between the mast and the centerboard on the deck, next to the centerboard on the slanted part, and on the aft deck either side of the traveller. I cut one in my boat this summer. My boat was dry, but damp with condensation. It was damp when I cut into it and dry as a bone in a few hours. I'm glad I did it.

Thanks for the picture. It is not like any inspection port I have ever seen. Perhaps someone else in TLF can identify it.

The most common around here are the Viking units available from Annapolis Performance Sailing. This port, combined with a "Fat Bag" gives you both access and storage.

If you want to get access to the interior at that particular point, you can put another port on the other side of the daggarboard trunk. The other option is to remove the current compartment and install a Viking unit in its place (this assumes that the two are the same diameter).

If you just want to be able to have a look inside and dry out the interior (always a good idea), simply put a Viking port on the foredeck near the mast step. This way, you can inspect it as well.

Hope this helps.

Will the drain plug be enough to keep moisture out of the hull if i leave the compartment i had in, and when i store it just take out the drain plug.

Will the drain plug be enough to keep moisture out of the hull if i leave the compartment i had in, and when i store it just take out the drain plug.

That's a big No! I had hoped that would be the case for mine. But sticking my pinky in the plug I could tell it was damp. My hull never leaked and when I cut the port hole, it was damp all over. It dried in hours with the hole there. The guy who gave me instructions, who is the local laser guru, said every boat he's cut open has had the same condensation moisture in them. He thinks if you want the hull to dry out inside, it needs a port. After my experience, I'd have to agree. Granted, this was the first boat I cut open.

Assuming you are referring to the drain plug on the transom, Hoffy's answer is correct. The 1979 I worked on this spring had been in a barn for years with the drain plug out and was still wet inside. As mentioned before, it is tough to cut a hole in something like a boat but If you want to keep this boat in good shape, an inspection port is a cheap inventment. Hell for the 1979 project, I had to install 3 ports!! :eek: See link below.

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6507&highlight=1979+laser+hull+separation

I've combined the two recent threads on inspection ports. The posts are chronological, and I hope they make sense.

Cap:

If you look at the thread regarding my hull separation repair, you will see a 3/4 hp drill and a 5½" diameter hole saw. I was lucky to be able to borrow the drill from a co-worker and the hole saw from my place of business. Getting a big drill is not a big deal - you can probably rent one at a big box home center. However, a 5½" hole saw is pretty rare. Most places only have 5" ones. The alternative is a jigsaw with a new, very sharp blade. In fact, this seems to be what most people use. If you don't have a good one (i.e. DeWalt or Bosch), I would borrow one. The cheap saws don't have a roller guide in back of the blade and this is key.

BTW how is the weather in Kansas? Ever been to Coffeyville? :D

Heres a picture of my cockpit the inspection port is on the top right, the ductape on the hiking strap is to reduce wear not because it is broken.
It looks like a standard inspection port to me. I have one that looks similar/same made by RWO I think. It has a palstic bucket insert that can be easily removed - is this what you are describing?

Back