Inspection port aft deck pre 1971 Sunfish

sailkansas

I have exhausted forums and YouTube videos trying to see the support system below the back deck of a pre 1971 Sunfish. This is the Sunfish without the rear cockpit storage area. I want to place a inspection port in the midline and near the forward end of the back deck. Does anyone know if there is any important support structures in that area. I need to access the area to install a backing plate for the rear hiking strap attachment point. Thank you

This may help. On page 5 of this restoration, I performed the exact modification you are speaking of. On page one or two is a schematic of the inner guts of the sunfish. It may help you as well.
wishing you luck,
Whitecap
:)

This may help. On page 5 of this restoration, I performed the exact modification you are speaking of. On page one or two is a schematic of the inner guts of the sunfish. It may help you as well.
wishing you luck,
Whitecap
:)
Thanks much. I will review all of your repairs this evening. Again thanks for your time in sending all of this good info.

Scroll down and you will see a hiking strap mounted under port in the cockpit.

The cockpit port has a number of advantages.

1) Access to a large storage area.
2) Deck remains uncluttered. Sponge or paddle is right at hand.
3) Ease of a strong strap hardware installation and inspections.
4) Bolts would be preferred over screws or rivets for the hiking strap.
5) Port could include a $10 water-resistant bag for camera, cellphone, and documents.

If strength is still a concern, make a pair of metal C-shaped rings to overlap each other, acting as a round backup plate. Bolt the four pieces together.

I will check that out. My only concern would be having the tension of a loaded hiking strap so near that port.
The port itself provides rigidity. It’s also a good idea to install a long vertical wood backer to span from deck level to below the cockpit tub for more rigidity. That way the cockpit isn’t taking as much load as if you just put a small backer in place.

Cheap inspection ports, made in China, are supple (very bendy).

You'd be much better off with a firm US-made port, such as Beckson. (Even a used Beckson).

Back