Inside a Minifish transom

MinifishmothTransom016.jpg

MinifishmothTransom019.jpg

MinifishmothTransom018.jpg

Long story , but there is logic behind it , sort of.
I sail Classic Moth's which can be any design as long as they meet certain box rules ... including a 11' hull length , 5' max. beam.
I picked up this battered Minifish for $100. The spars were broken , the sail and daggerboard no good.
I already had a spare Sunfish rudder assembly & daggerboard. I will use a dagger shaped rudder blade.
I made up some spars , added stays to the hull and then measured the hull , and put the dremel tool to work by cutting off the transom , which I need to trim up , slot inside the hull and epoxy in place as neatly as I can. Only a few inches were removed from the hull , so it shouldn't affect the rocker much.
I still need to add some inspection ports , so I can add some cleats , then I'll get her wet.
It will probably not appeal to true Sunfish/Minifish fanatics , but it's one way of getting an old Minifish racing , and the Classic Moth rig should make it a lot of fun.
AmyMinifish005.jpg

Way to go! So you shortened the hull to fit Moth rules. You might have found a good way for others to get into Classic Moth racing on the cheap.

Thanks Wavedancer. There are several guys who sail competitive "cut 'n' shut" Classic Moth Masers , including 80+ year old Merv Westcoat who I believe first sailed Moth's in the 1940s.

Here's Merv in his Maser at the Classic Moth Nationals , Elizabeth City , NC , last September.
2009MOTHNATIONALSELIZABETHCITI129.jpg

I've been plodding on with my Minifish/Classic Moth project , which is nowhere near as involved as a Laser conversion. The new transom is now in place , just needs a rub down & paint.
Next job is to install inspection ports for deck hardware , including a fore/aft hiking strap , traveler track in front of cockpit & control line cleats.
I guess I'll soon need a name for it ... maybe Board Again ? ...

TRANSOM005.jpg

TRANSOM006.jpg

Back